[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he our guy. "The work of a queasy undergraduate scratching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Is he our guy.

"The work of a queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples." Virginia Woolf on Ulysses
>>
>>9770048
>Virginia Woolf

>shits on UIlysses
>was heavily influenced by it anyway

What the fuck was her fucking problem?
>>
File: download.png (7KB, 145x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7KB, 145x144px
Imagine the letters between those two if they were together.
>>
Woolf had horrible taste. Joyce had too though.
>>
>>9770064
She was exceptionally snobby. She hated Joyce at first because he was a nobody who could write like a god, while she grew up only respecting the aristocracy. I'm sure she loved every word of Ulysses, but didn't want to admit it for a while.
>>
>>9770069

Where can I read about Joyce's tastes? All I know is that his taste is pretty predictable and he references well known classics, but I have no idea what he actually enjoyed to read or what he hated.

>>9770048
Authors are notorious for jealousy or vehemently toxic towards other authors who don't apply to their aesthetic.
>>
>>9770227
https://www.google.com.br/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjproLX0ZHVAhXCyyYKHdUpA6kQFggnMAA&usg=AFQjCNERc3RRJe5xhTIorP0MMJ0YmDZmYA
>>
>>9770069
What about Joyce's taste was horrible, besides the fact that he didn't like Puskin and though that there were no worthwhile philosophers since Kant?
>>
>>9770298
Disliking Goethe and believing Ibsen was a better playwright than Shakespeare are solid grounds for calling shit taste.
And Aristotle was the single most boring philosopher ever.
>>
>>9770306

Goethe is wider than he is deep. Good but I can see how one would dislike him. Especially Joyce.

Ibsen was a much better writer of characters than Shakespeare. Shakespeare wrote some great characters that were complex externally (Hamlet, Iago, Falstaff, etc.) but Ibsen literally created the Modernist hero as he/she exists still in literature and film. His plays have almost no external plot pushed on them, the characters could be sitting in solitary confinement and they would still make for a great play. The characters are the entire momentum of his plays. It is a lot harder to pull off than it seems.

Besides, Joyce said he'd take shakespeare as his choice of book on a desert island. Even Joyce knew that Shakespeare was infinitely valuable.
>>
>>9770064
>>9770048
Joyce is literally Charles Tansley
>>
>>9770064
>women
>well informed opinions and actual good taste
choose wisely
>>
>>9770306
>most boring philosopher ever
>anyone but Kant

He was incredibly smart but he's also the fucking cure for insomnia
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.