[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lit recs on Mental Health/ Pyschology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: BPD.jpg (21KB, 605x300px) Image search: [Google]
BPD.jpg
21KB, 605x300px
Any Pysche majors or mental health workers on /lit/?

My ex-wife attempted to commit suicide over the weekend and is in a nut house for the foreseeable future, I was on the emergency contact list still and they called me to tell me she is diagnosed as one of the highest levels of BPD the Dr.s have seen in a while.

I don't know what to think of this and would like to explore the world of BPD and similar Cluster B books.

Any recs?
>>
In my professional opinion, your ex-wife is fucking tits-out nuts.

Take this opportunity to bang strange whores and feel glad you divorced the spaz.

That'll be $300.
>>
Users and Abusers of Psychiatry. It goes into great detail how some psychiatrists make their patients worse off by treating the symptoms or side effects of a mental illness instead of whats causing the illness itself.

There's a tendency to treat mental illness as a completely physical problem, so it's easy for doctors to just throw some pills at the patient, especially after a psychotic break and then consider the problem fixed. Afterwards the patient is sent home and the underlying stress or problem that caused the issue in the first place is completely undealt with which is eventually just going to lead to further problems as that stress continues to build. No matter what your wife's psychiatrist says you should seek out some sort of talk therapy to complement her treatment.

>>9770008

You don't have to bump here. The board is slow and people generally use the catalog which is why day old threads are constantly resurrected.
>>
>>9769935
read the relevant portions of the DSM-5
>>
Wow. That sucks. Your wife is basically psycho and not in a cute or cool way just in a make your life living hell way. How did you not notice?
>>
>>9769935
I have a friend married to an extreme bpd case. You should count your blessings every day to have gotten away from that thing. There is no cure and treatment rarely has any effect. BPD goes hand in hand with narcissism, and I know they can be very charming and seductive at first, but they are nothing but monsters and should be removed from the general population.
>>
>>9770062
I did notice, thus the ex part.
Was a brutal 2 years.

>>9770022
Sorry, I'm from /biz/ and /fit/ and usually have to bump to keep the trolls from sinking a serious question.
Thant's for your advice friend.

>>9770088
Agreed, continue to count everyday.
She never went to school as a child as her family moved around something like 30 times since her dad was peddling some serious drugs under the front of a mobile home salesman and business owner.

>>9770054
Already did that, I want to hear about the forms of deeper understanding, stories and more information on how to take it and understand it.
>>
>>9769935
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for mental health and psyche ward settings.

Girl Interrupted deals with bi-polarism and female psyche issues.

For BPD the fiction doesn't really exist, but the most popular is I Hate You, Don't Leave Me.

Good luck anon, my mum has BPD which shes fights with alcoholism, its going to be a struggle if you're will to help your ex-wife
>>
>>9769935
I'm relieved you specified ex-wife. I'm sorry to hear about her suicide attempt, but good for you for getting out of there; I'm five months out myself. If you're interested in understanding BPD, I don't know what to recommend other than:
>I Hate You, Don't Leave Me (Strauss, Kreissman)
>Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist (Fjelstad)
If you have access to a database of scholarly journals, there are also many, many articles on Cluster-B personality disorders. And if you're interested in codependency, which tends to coincide with BPD emotional abuse:
>Codependent No More (Beattie)

And it isn't literature, but the BPD / BPDLovedOnes sub-reddits both produce a wealth of examples of disordered thinking.
>>
>>9770022
>It goes into great detail how some psychiatrists make their patients worse off by treating the symptoms or side effects of a mental illness instead of whats causing the illness itself.
I've heard from someone that worked in a psychiatric unit that this can be the case. They've seem people recover from their symptoms and then discharged, only to be admitted again in the future. I think this issue may also be a systemic one, not always down to psychiatrist responsible for treatment.

I think I've experienced this myself. I've had three admissions over the last twelve years. On my most recent admission I received significant aftercare, still it wasn't enough to uncover issues that would eventually get me into legal trouble. At the beginning of this year I was seen by the consultant psychiatrist that I first had contact with all those years ago. They amitted to me that in my case medication only goes so far. I'm now on the waiting list for psychological therapy, which I had been denied upon request a few years prior.

>>9770274
>moved around something like 30 times
That must have had an effect on her, it would on anyone.
>>
Thank you very much gents.
>>9770301
Best of luck back to you friend. Hope you have some sort of healthy normal.
>>9770380
Thank you. Do you know where and how one could access these journals? I am very interested.
>>9770457
Are you noticing any growth in better choices or cognition?
>>
Guys is there any way to become a patient of Dr. Jordan B. Peterson online?
I want him to help me with my problems but I don't know how to contact him.
>>
>>9770693
>Do you know where and how one could access these journals? I am very interested.
If you're an alumnus, some universities provide retroactive access to databases through their libraries. Students pretty much always have this, though.
>>
What's a good book on schizophrenia?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.