[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so great about him?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: hunter-s-thompson.jpg (16KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
hunter-s-thompson.jpg
16KB, 250x250px
What's so great about him?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic
>>
>>9769134
He didn't just write about something. He did something.
>>
>>9769134
What's NOT, is the true question.
>>
>>9769134
DUDE DRUGS LMAO. But seriously, his personality and life were so insane that his cult of personality popularized his work.
>>
>>9769152
He took the easy way out.
>>
>>9769154
Was there any other way for him though? Looking back at him it seems like he couldn't die a normal death.
>>
It feels a bit odd to read his works today, since he is part of mainstream culture. I can't seriously imagine him as something subversive or counterculture.
>>
>>9769134
Ignoring his obnoxious cult of personality, he wrote some truly incisive political and cultural commentary that has yet to be rivaled by any journalist since his death.
>>
>>9769153
Here is his daily routine, its quite a read.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/33487/hunter-s-thompsons-daily-routine
>>
>>9769134
His corpus represents America, or at least one strain of it, personified.
>>
he was great in breaking bad. i don't like better call sual all that much though.
>>
>>9769146
what'd he do?
>>
>>9769153

His private life was a pretty dysfunctional hell, despite all his public glamor.

>>9769154

He took probably the only reasonable way out at that point in his life. He was in his 60s, hopelessly addicted to alcohol, quitting it would probably kill him. He had to have a surgery every year just to restore basic motor functions, but it wouldn't really help that much because his alcohol intake inhibited his body from healing. He was shitting his pants on a regular basis, could barely walk, and his latest wife wanted to divorce him.

He basically looked around and saw that things were not getting better at this point, it was going way fucking downhill, so he killed himself. Can't really say he was wrong...
>>
>>9769620
Plus 9/11 and its aftermath left him more disillusioned with civics than he'd ever been before. His life and his nation were headed towards the inferno.
>>
>>9769607
Ran for sheriff and almost won, also was good friends with a popular anti-war presidential candidate, George McGovern, whom he followed on their campaign. (Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72). Said to be the most truthful and the least factual coverage of the campaign.
>>
>>9769134
if you coloured him in brown he'd look like a somali
>>
>>9769134
I love his writing style and his bizarre use of vocabulary. He was just a unique person and a lot of people are intrigued by his heavy drug use. It like... inspires you to be more adventurous or something.
>>
>>9769680
>Ran for sheriff and almost won
Didn't he run in one of the most white, richest and liberal parts of America?
>>
>>9769138
>In democracy you have too...be a player
*gunshots*
The most American American of the 20th century, by far.
>>
>>9769178
Have you only read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? There's more to counterculture and subversion than being edgy. That book is subversive as fuck, and it's got an anti-countercultural, or at least fundamentally pessimistic, message about the 60's if you actually fucking read it. The rest of his stuff is insightful and his prose style is unlike almost anything else in 20th century journalism. I haven't read enough Tom Wolfe to know how comparable they are.
>>
>>9770330

f&l is great because it's counter to almost all culture. The hippy movement was the counter-culture of the time, and it's even counter to that. It paints a picture of the people in power being idiots, and the people fighting it being romantic misfits with no real aim.
>>
>>9770036
He scared the shit out of that town. He and a bunch of friends moved out there and they did it as a joke and a critique of American politics.
>>
epitome of not a faggot. but crazy.
>>
>>9769134
He was one wild and crazy dude.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.