[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me /lit/ I´ve been into a movies for a long time and even

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: negro.png (930KB, 1734x936px) Image search: [Google]
negro.png
930KB, 1734x936px
Help me /lit/ I´ve been into a movies for a long time and even made a couple of shitty shorts. Now I´m wondering if people here could recommend me some great literature for a movie watcher.
>>
>>9769041
Robbe-Grillet if you're into French New Wave. If you're not, then you're a pleb.
>>
>>9769041
Are you looking for inspiration for film topics or books about filmmaking and / or the film industry? If you truly just mean 'great literature' then I recommend The Brothers Karamazov, Dead Souls, and Lolita.
>>
File: Story Of Film_ticket.jpg (32KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Story Of Film_ticket.jpg
32KB, 500x282px
>>9769069
I should have paraphrased my OP better. Im looking analyses and essays of films. I´ve read some entry-tier stuff Bazin etc but would be interested for something more.

Thanks for recs.
>>
File: 1.png (135KB, 1033x583px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
135KB, 1033x583px
>>9769041
i took all of this from the archive at some point, so search there too:

film art
how to read a film
geoff dyer - zona
tarkovsky - sculpting in time
-
for a brief intro just use braudy/cohen, rosen (narrative/apparatus/ideology), and abel's 2 volumes on french film theory.
the standard canon of benjamin/adorno/kracauer/munsterberg/foucault/althusser/barthes/freud.
-
bazin - what is cinema? (gray's translation is bad. at least get the version with dudley andrew's foreword, but better still get the recently released new translation by tim barnard. published by caboose.)
deleuze - cinema 1, cinema 2, "what is philosophy" and "what is a dispositif"
cavell - the world viewed
robert bresson - notes on the cinematographer
film as a subversive art
etc.: senses of cinema, cinemascope; cineaste, film comment, uc's film quarterly, ut's cinema journal, duke's camera obscura, adaptation, afterall, cinémas, cinema journal, critical inquiry, critical quarterly, diacritics, discourse, early popular visual culture, film history: an international journal, film-philosophy, framework: the journal of cinema and media, grey room, millennium film journal, leonardo, october, screen, velvet light trap
godard - "histoire(s) du cinema" (read with dan morgan's brilliant 2007 dissertation (or his just-released book, Late Godard and the Possibilities of Cinema))
sergei eisenstein - "film form" and "the film sense"
"the fright of real tears" (krzysztof kieslowski)
cahiers du cinema (jim hiller has a two-volume selection, translated)
metz - "psychoanalysis and cinema; the imaginary signifier" (metz needs to be read in context: Language and Cinema (the book) is necessary)
>>
File: 2.jpg (121KB, 855x515px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
121KB, 855x515px
>>9769128
>>
>>9769128
And if you ever want to make any money making films, read Bambi vs. Godzilla.
>>
>>9769041
Is that Death by Hanging?
Great movie
>>
>>9769041

Books that were made into movies. Not Stephen King though, the worst movies based on his books are also the truest to the source material.
>>
File: rape.png (989KB, 1739x937px) Image search: [Google]
rape.png
989KB, 1739x937px
>>9769330
Yeah
>>
>>9769041
>Death by Hanging
I'd been trying to remember the title of the film for weeks.

Read Eisenstein and Hitchcock/Truffaut for starters. I personally like to read filmmakers speaking or writing about their own work.
>>
File: jojo nazi.png (1MB, 728x696px) Image search: [Google]
jojo nazi.png
1MB, 728x696px
>>9769408
I´m actually reading Hitchcock/Truffaut at the moment
>>
>>9769128
Great recommendations.

Also Harun Farocki's texts. His correspondence with Kaja Silverman is patrician af.
>>
>>9769041
Source on that image?
>>
>>9770872
Its from Death By Hanging
>>
>>9769088
it depends what you are into

some perspectives from filmmakers:
Lumet's Making Movies. directed Network
Ondaatje's The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing. edited Apocalypse Now
Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time. created the masterful series Teletubbies

david bordwell's blog and his textbook film for the academic criticism angle. he's pretty readable
http://www.davidbordwell.net/blog/

reviewers:
roger ebert. the reviews of bad movies are pretty fun to read and instructive on what to avoid
pauline kael. there's a neat collection hers on libgen
>>
>>9771275
>>9771275
Thanks
>>
Good suggestions everyone.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.