[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Tartar Steppe Reading Group

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Capture.png (103KB, 228x343px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
103KB, 228x343px
Hey guys,

We have started the Tartar Steppe reading group and we aim to have it finished over the next 2 - 3 days. It's a quick read, so feel free to pop in and join us.

>The Tartar Steppe by Dino Buzzati
A desolate picture of a young soldier wandering the vast, titular steppes, as a meditation on the human condition and the eternal questions of ambition, glory, and man's search for meaning.

You can find an epub in the pinned messages of the channel.

https://discord.gg/y5VG3wp

We're also starting up a handful of other reading groups and would love more people to join in.

>Joseph and His Brothers by Thomas Mann
A mammoth work considered by Mann to be his magnum opus. Composed over 16 years, Mann retells twenty-odd chapters of Genesis in a sweeping, 2000 page narrative. The book touches on culture, storytelling/mythmaking, individualism, and the usual erudite topics that Mann is known for, infused with a heavy dosage of Biblical mysticism of the sort that fascinated Mann more and more as he aged.

>Celestial Harmonies by Peter Esterhazy
Esterhazy is a descendant of the old, prominent Hungarian noble family, possibly best remembered today for its patronage of Joseph Haydn. The book chronicles the history of the family through a fictional lens that is nonetheless intimately tied with European history over the past few centuries. The narrative is deceptively simple, but actually nonlinear, and gradually reveals the trajectory of Esterhazy history, often as a metaphor for broader themes.

>The works of Richard Powers
A couple of us are taking the Powers-pill and exploring a very exciting contemporary novelist, who has some of the best literary depictions of the troubled by inextricable connection between science and the arts in the modern world. Currently reading The Echo Maker.
>>
Bumping for OP.

Does anyone like the UK cover for Buzzati? I really can't stomach the cyan wash all over the cover, the effect is too morose and YA for me.
>>
>>9769086
I got the British version because it was cheaper than the Verba Mundi. It doesn't look meaningfully worse imo, and I'm someone who's usually willing to pay a slight premium for a prettier cover.
>>
>>9769685
Actually I changed my mind; the Verba Mundi cover seems better in retrospect, having finished the book. Alas.
>>
this was a nice book
>>
>>9768347
Why aren't you reading Gracq's Opposing Shore (Rivage des Syrtes) instead? At the very least you could be doing a comparative study of those two novels...
>>
>>9768347
I liked this book because it was good.
>>
>>9771440
>$30 on jewmazon

nty shill
>>
>>9772613
Sorry bud, I read the original French in the much-loathed deckled edge edition which you have to cut open yourself.

You just want everything for free, don't you Schlomo?
>>
>>9771440
>>9771693
>>9772621
>the tartar steppe pops up when you search for the opposing shore

what did jeff bezos mean by this?
>>
>>9772629
Jeff's robot just points out that these novels are frequently bought together, or that browsers look at both. I wonder why that might be...
Check out the list if coincidences surrounding those two novels, on the same subject, published in the same year, without either author being aware of the other's work (or being able to read the language as I recall). Uncanny.
Gracq writes beautifully, it truly is the quintessential novel in which nothing happens, except that a whole load of nothing piles up with massive consequences...
>>
File: Capture.png (114KB, 711x481px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
114KB, 711x481px
>>9772636
A-am I being memed?
>>
>>9772661
Great book man, give it a shot. Some of his other stuff in English on Libgen, no idea how well it translates though.
>>
File: trilogy.png (580KB, 1095x544px) Image search: [Google]
trilogy.png
580KB, 1095x544px
>>9772661
They're pretty different imo. On the Marble Cliffs is another novel with a similar premise that I would say is closer to The Opposing Shore (Gracq was a big Junger reader).

Read the entire anti-meme trilogy.
>>
>>9768347
Cool project. I have the book and still didn't read it. I'm actually in the (bad) mood to finally do it.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.