[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you say to convince someone to start reading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1497687239178.jpg (387KB, 1280x916px) Image search: [Google]
1497687239178.jpg
387KB, 1280x916px
What would you say to convince someone to start reading?
>>
File: Prometheus Bound.jpg (190KB, 1205x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Prometheus Bound.jpg
190KB, 1205x1600px
>>9765616
Reading sucks don't try it. Pic related is me, reading.
>>
>>9765616

If you have to try to convince them in the first place, it's best not to bother. Either you like books or you don't. You can recommend something you think they'll like, but if they're an ADD pleb who keeps complaining about not being able to focus, there's really no changing that.
>>
>>9765616
4chan helped ruin my life.
>>
>>9765624
I enjoy reading, I am diagnosed with ADHD, and can pay attention if I'm thoroughly engaged in a story, I just tend to abandon them when I feel I'm trudging through the book, rather than enjoying it.
>>
>>9765628
this, I hate how I discovered 4chan, reddit, and video games when I was 13 in 2009, this shit definitely contributed to the mess I am today. So much wasted time... I used to read, draw, play the piano, make movies, go outside and then I gave myself up to the instant gratification. I've only been starting to pull myself out this past year and actually going back to what made me feel happy
>>
>>9765660
Everyone on /lit/ needs to know your story anon. Glad you're doing the right thing.
>>
>>9765660
Same, but I discovered a lot of music, books, tv, etc. that I probably wouldn't have otherwise, so that's something I guess.
>>
>>9765616
I wouldn't even bother because you just can't convince anyone to start reading nowadays. And it's because it takes effort.

I'll ask you a similar question, what would you say to convince someone to watch a philosophical/deep/etc 1 hour video on a specific subject they're not particularly interested in because all they care is netflix/facebook or twitter?

Can you imagine pushing that same person over 200 pages of literary works written hundreds of years ago exposing them to different perspectives they don't care about thst much simply because they can only analyze things that are immediate to them?

They can waste 10 hours a day watching random tv series or doing other things that won't add up to nothing, but when it comes to doing things that take any sort of effort they suddenly can't do it, just like that, out of the blue. That's the culture we live in, pal.

But hey, don't get depressed over it. Don't mix things up. Reading as an adult has always been an individual thing since the dawn of times. You read for yourself, by yourself. There's nothing wrong when your best friend or your girlfriend won't read the stuff you think they should because it would be good to them.

Just draw the line between the people who read real books and the people that think they also "read" because they read a few random articles on random blogs twice a week. If they can't go any further than reading a simple article, or even watching a long youtube video, then they just won't finish any book whatsoever, even when they're interested in what they're reading. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>9766724
you cant even convince me to read that post
can you send me a summary
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.