[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In what age does one usually attain the status of a public intellectual/thinker?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

In what age does one usually attain the status of a public intellectual/thinker? Is it possible to become one in your twenties? Does it have to coincide with the achievements in your academic career (getting an MA/PhD)?
>>
> been alive 20 years
Wow i bet they are enlightened and can help me better understand my condition!
>>
>>9764472

This is a stupid way of looking at it.
You can't game social status. You either are something or you aren't. The fact that you're occupied with appearances assures that you aren't. The Mozarts of the world aren't sitting around thinking about how to game how they are perceived.
>>
File: guy-pearce-films-9.jpg (23KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
guy-pearce-films-9.jpg
23KB, 540x405px
>>9764489
You have it too? I have this condition... my memory it is all blurry. I remember things that happened before the accident, but I can't make new memories.. it sucks
I have to make screenshots of all topics I make because I won't remember what I posted. At least with the (You)s I can figure out which post is mine but if nobody replies I don't know if it was me who posted it even if I make the screenshot.
>>
I think you're looking at this wrong. You're asking about becoming famous as if it were some sort of career track like in the Sims or an RPG, or a developmental milestone like getting all your pubic hairs. To become a famous thinker you need to have an audience. Generally you'd need some sort of platform to accomplish this like a professorship or a regular column in a prominent newspaper. It's not like there are talent agents searching the internet for some random blogger or trudging through second rate journals for master's thesis or PhD dissertations to find the next star.
>>
To become a publicly recognized thinker, you would first need to become recognized in your field of expertise. That alone is can take a lifetime, and unless you went to an Ivy or Stanford or a similar institution you probably missed the boat.
>>
Try to be prolific in whatever you focus on. Write about already public intellectuals and their ideas, either challenging them or expanding upon what has already written.
>>
>public intellectual/thinker
I can't think of anyone of recent who has attained that title except for Jordan B. Peterson
>>
These days you can be a public intellectual the second you get your PhD if you criticize sjws
>>
>>9765696
So you're saying you can gain notoriety by criticizing the establishment? Has that ever happened before in history?
>>
>>9765703
I DON'T BELIEVE IT HAS EVER HAPPENED BEFORE!
>>
>>9764472
Depends, do you have a Youtube channel and a Twitter?
>>
Make sure you publish books and journal articles over relevant topics that resonate strongly within society.
>>
Why the fuck would anyone without academic credentials be worthy of being called a public intellectual?
Not that public intellectuals are good--they aren't. Not that academia is good--it isn't. The public can't think. It shouldn't be enticed to. "Public debate" is never dialectical or dialogical, it is one party getting its way and then letting the other state its case as if there were stakes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.