[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone explain to me what the fuck happened in this book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2044.jpg (62KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2044.jpg
62KB, 316x475px
Can anyone explain to me what the fuck happened in this book?

So... spoilers ahead...
But...

My main issues are:
What the hell happened to Neuromancer/Wintermute? Was the split caused by the junking of the cores, or was it something that happened before that as a natural result of the diverging of infinite consciousness?
Who made the box maker? Why? What? I mean, what a fucking amazingly cool idea but... what?

Why did the AI pieces take up Voodoo God personas of all the things they could have possibly taken up? Was this just a decision that Gibson made because it reflects on the messy cyberpunk setting well, or is there something I missed? (I don't think it's just the AIs presenting to specific people in ways that the specific people would receive their messages well, Turner doesn't seem to have any fucking idea who Samedi is, same with Paco and Virek, Bobby as well)

And what role did the ice-cracker that Bobby used at the beginning of the book play? I realize it came into contact with Wig and the AI core at some point in the timeline, but was it really just a plot device to have Bobby meet Angie and the hoodoo crew?

My biggest question, though, is what the fuck was it all about? In Neuromancer, there was a goal and there was a ton of shit to be done along the way.
Here, it just seems like some crazy fucking shit happened, and basically it was no one party's goal or fault that anything happened, should happen, or would have happened. Virek wanted to be a digital god, Hosaka wanted some scientist, Maas wanted to keep their scientist and prospective riches, hoodoo crew didn't seem to really want anything other than follow the orders of their gods, Bobby was a hostage, Turner just wanted to keep his ass alive (and Angie's eventually), Marley just wanted to know what the fuck was going on (like myself). I think that about covers it. The closest thing to a story-driver in those motivations is Virek wanting to be a cybergod, but then that just begs the question: what the fuck were the AIs doing the whole book? I couldn't suss out any motivations. They fed info to Mitchell, protected Angie. Made cool art boxes. Why? To what end?

What the hell was this book about?
Also is the Finn fucking dead?
Will Mona Lisa Overdrive give me any of these answers?

Also why is Turner such a piece of shit? Who fucks their brother's wife?
>>
File: steam bike.jpg (151KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
steam bike.jpg
151KB, 1080x608px
>>9763449
>My biggest question, though, is what the fuck was it all about?

one of the problems with writing about AI is that it's impossible for a human to adequately describe a super-human intelligence. a few writers have tried, with varying degrees of success - some imagine it would be godlike, some imagine it would be cruel, and William Gibson is demonstrating that it might be like nothing we can imagine.

i'm reminded of that toy that when you turn it on, a hand comes out of the box and turns it off again.
>>
>>9763449
It's not hard to understand, it was just bullshit.

NeuroMute an heroed becuz God.
Can't remember about the icebreaker. I think it might have used the genetech.
Yeah no it's a mess. I really don't like Count Zero.
Finn's not dead.
Turner's a mass murderer my friend.
>>
>>9763449
mona lisa overdrive will give some answers (but not a lot) and is generally a lot better imo. iirc neuromancer and winter mute were fundamentally opposed to each other (remember neuromancer didn't want to be reunited in the first place) so that sort of schizophrenia might've been part of the reason they broke apart. I don't remember why the AIs took voodoo personalities, probably because they thought it would be the best representation of them in cyberspace for whatever reason. icebreaker, don't remember anything about it, yeah count zero as a whole didn't seem to know what it was about so I agree with you there. I would say the Virek plot line was probably the closest it had to an overrall point. Mona Lisa Overdrive is p good though so I'd reccomend you check it out.
>>
Should fans of Nick Land read Gibson?
>>
>>9766101
no fans of nick land should off themselves :P
>>
>>9764652
>Finn's not dead.

yeah, he's just cosplaying as an ATM. hahaha
>>
File: 6762d3baae9fd3313209b4c19.jpg (72KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
6762d3baae9fd3313209b4c19.jpg
72KB, 500x644px
In the first book, the AI’s merged and caused the matrix to become self-aware. It then splits into several entities with an imperative to make “deals” with mortals. Voodoo spirituality was probably the closest human analog to resemble the way they function, so this was the form they chose to take. It is never explained why they interface with humanity in this way and Mona Lisa Overdrive will not answer this, but suffice it to say that an awareness of oneself isn’t the only implication of consciousness.
The reason behind Virek's interest in the Cornell-style boxes is related to indications of biosoft construction in the design of one, which he suspects may be contained in the others. His company seeks Angela for the plans for biosoft construction that her father implanted into her brain. Her father also altered her nervous system to allow her to access the matrix indirectly, not unlike Lain. It was she who saved Bobby in his botched attempt to hack a black ICE database.
The “gods” orchestrate most of the events in the novel to enable the disposal of Virek, not unlike how the events in the first book was an elaborate effect of WM’s imperative to merge with NM. I don’t think it’s about anything, if not perhaps about the triumph of life over corporate greed. If it can be called life. Except for hackers, most of humanity remains unaware that the Matrix has become home to sentient beings.
No, the Finn isn’t dead.
Mona Lisa Overdrive will and will not answer your questions. The only way to find out is to actually read it. It doesn’t top Neuromancer, but it’s a worthy conclusion insofar as the Sprawl was intended as a trilogy.

Turner resolved to protect Lain and find out who is pursuing her and to what end. We are shown his flaws to make him more relatable. While Marly is mostly out to save her own ass, and Bobby is just sort of along for the ride.

pic unrelated
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.