[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to start appreciating poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: poetry-image.jpg (34KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
poetry-image.jpg
34KB, 640x360px
Can anyone recommend me some books or online guides how to start understanding poetry as art form, how to read it and appreciate it? How to be capable of making judgmenets if some poem is good or not?
>>
the art of poetry how to read a poem
>>
>>9763411

My thanks, any other works you would recommend?

Also, is it fundamentally impossible to understand poem written in Japanese, German, Russian or Persian when translated into English? Is the art gone then?
>>
>>9763430
>Also, is it fundamentally impossible to understand poem written in Japanese, German, Russian or Persian when translated into English? Is the art gone then?

No, stop believing this lie, have a look at the Jerusalem Bible, they translated a French bible into English and told everybody it was a new translation from the original texts and everybody believed them including Biblical translation experts until recently.
>>
>>9763398
if you're interested in form and technical aspects:
-Rhyme's Reason
-All the Fun's in How You Say A thing

If you're interested in themes, meanings etc. pick up a Cambridge Guide to X where X if the poet you're reading or a Norton critical edition.

Also, if you're used to reading novels and stuff, start with something that's not lyric. Like Paradise Lost or Idylls of the King.
>>
Thanks, could you give me your thoughts on issue I raised here?

>Also, is it fundamentally impossible to understand poem written in Japanese, German, Russian or Persian when translated into English? Is the art gone then?
>>
>>9763430
You obviously miss out on a lot, but the general sentiment is there
>>
>>9763475
Formal aspect would be gone (versification, rhyme) but those are not everything that allows you to understand a poem. So it's not impossible to understand a translated poem. In addition, some translations stand on their own as good poetry; such as Chapman's Homer, or Lattimore's translations of Greek and Latin. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but Arberry's translations of Rumi are good imo.

But I would recommend learning other languages to read poems. At minimum, read some linguistics, as it will help you in reading anything, but--in particular-- you might get a feel for how other languages do things (and linguistics will help you learn languages). The Art of Grammar by Aikhenvald is pretty good for this. Phonology would be another thing to study.
>>
>>9763398
Rhymes Reason by Hollander is a good start.

For reading things in languages you don't understand here are my professor's techniques to getting the most out of it:
>look up multiple translations to compare side by side
>look at the original text to see what you can decipher (attempt to identify rhymes, recurring words, stresses, etc)
>listen to a recorded reading of it
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.