[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Roast my first page

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: First page.png (162KB, 752x1220px) Image search: [Google]
First page.png
162KB, 752x1220px
I just finished writing a story. First time I've ever done anything like this so it's guaranteed to be wank, but I want to get better. Only way to do that is to read more, write more and get feedback. So I'd appreciate a little of the last. Many thanks.
>>
Have you reread this? Literally anyone should notice how awkward that first paragraph is

Not reading the rest because I'm lazy, but it's probably shit too.
>>
>>9763163
This, I refuse to read on past the first paragraph. Not only is it clunky, pretentious, and littered with grammatical errors, it's an obnoxious example of how the most pretentious writers are the same ones who think, for instance, that their shitty pieces of "literature" deserve their own thread for critique, instead of posting it on the crit thread along with a critique of a couple other anons' works.
>>
>>9763163
I feel like i have blinders on when i read it, because anywhere that doesn't flow well, my brain patches it with the image i'm trying to evoke.

That being said, your right, it's clearly clunky. I'll work on that
>>
>>9763160
>A boy finds himself unable to sleep one night. His name was Daniel Young.
This has to be bait, right? You're already screwing up your tense in the first two sentences.

We're not your personal army of editors, anon. Put some work into editing, come back, and post this on a critique thread. No thread deserves to get bumped off the catalog because of this garbage.
>>
>>9763186

>your

give up now
>>
>>9763181
Stop misusing the word pretentious you dumb nigger. It isn't even close to being pretentious. OPs writing is terrible because it's juvenile. It's clunky, and is full of low-brow expressions and words.
>>
>>9763193
It's pretentious because anon is pretending to be a good writer.
>>
>>9763186
Generally you should try to read your work as close as you can before asking admittedly dickish people on the internet for feedback.
>>
>>9763160
Try different sentence structures every once in a while, and enhance your vocabulary. From this writing I'm assuming you're around 16 and most of your other writing is fan fiction, so that's where your skills are.
>>
It's funny, because no one in this thread has ever written anything better than this
>>
You're switching between third and first person perspective too often.
>>
File: 1415075286166.png (1MB, 761x608px) Image search: [Google]
1415075286166.png
1MB, 761x608px
>>9763202
>>
>>9763196
>>9763193
He's right though
>She was eight years old and as clingy as a shadow. ... She was ready to argue the only way an eight year old could; loudly.
This is someone trying to be more complex than they can manage.
>>
>>9763197
I hear you. I'm mostly trying to get unbiased feedback from as many places as possible. I guess I rushed the first read through because i was excited to say it was done.

>>9763204
That happens a lot through out. Not always on purpose. I've personally didn't think it would be an issue, but i guess it is jarring when poured on top of all the other problems

>>9763196
Not pretending at all. Any first attempt at a craft is bound to be shit.
>>
>>9763225
>I guess I rushed the first read through because i was excited to say it was done.

I know the feeling. Just keep working and you'll be fine.
>>
>>9763211
Are these bad sentences in themselves, or are you unhappy that they are buried in bad writing. Honest question
>>
>>9763240
They are poor sentences in themselves, exacerbated by being buried in poor writing.
>>
First paragraph " from time to time ". Try using the word periodically..
pe·ri·od·i·cal·ly
ˌpirēˈädək(ə)lē/
adverb
from time to time; occasionally.
"I will periodically check on your progress"
at regularly occurring intervals.
--

I feel like there is a lack of efficiency in the writing and your making the reader work for the reward of just pushing the story along.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.