[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Don Quixote still worth the read after all these years? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2764.gif (37KB, 1114x946px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2764.gif
37KB, 1114x946px
Is Don Quixote still worth the read after all these years? It actually sounds very intriguing but I just want to hear from someone who has read it.
>>
It's still funny if you like violent humor. Also, a lot of it is still relevant, like how at one point the idea that the media that one enjoys effects their ideology. Also about making your dreams into reality. And much more. It's very complex. Just read it.
>>
>>9758560
This guy is a return. Grossman translation is the best text other than the original.
>>
>>9758575
*Retard
>>
>>9758556
I was going to read it whether it was relevant or not. I have never read a book or consumed a piece of classic media and got nothing out of it
>>
I hear there is a lot of satire about the time period. Anyone know a good history book that can help me understand the basics?
>>
>>9758679
i'd say it's more cultural critique than historically specific critique, so everyone can get it if you understand out of touch elites, gross peasants and stuff like that. it's not very historically specific stuff.

i'd say it's also nice because even if it makes fun of everybody most of the characters have some kind of moment of kindness of heart, even if limited. sort of a catholic message permeating all the book, which is almost always present in any old spanish literature.
>>
>>9758556
>is the greatest novel ever written worth a read
>>
>>9758707
yeah, think he's asking along the lines of what makes it the greatest novel ever written
>>
>>9758679
>>9758695
also as commented there Don Quixote is a high-minded, kind and idealistic book, even if ultimately pessimistic

if you want nastier humoristic social critique you can try some picaresque novel like quevedo's El Buscón or anonymous' the life of lazarillo de tormes and of his fortunes and adversities. lots of brutish unfiltered poverty and all kinds of nastiness in there.
>>
The whole thing is basically DQ doing somerthing autistic, calling someones mother a whore, getting beat up, repeat. Very worth it.
>>
>>9758717
>the life of lazarillo de tormes and of his fortunes and adversities
i don't remember writing this

neat
>>
>>9758726
>I only read the first half of the first half: the post.
>>
best spain book?
>>
>>9758556

This is an amazing book. I read a translation, I don't know which, but I actually quite enjoyed it. Without realizing it, this was my first great piece of literature I read. I didn't even know what the Canon was back then. I wrote a pretty good essay on it too.
>>
>>9758556
as a time capsule, yeah, as a form of entertainment.. so-so? it was extremely inventive for its time period and broke a lot of walls, but a good deal of the satire and by extension its humor is lost in translation. cut a lot of the bloat and just get the abridged version. otherwise you're staring down a lot of needless repetition.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.