[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Toni Morrison on the same level as Joyce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: toni morrison.jpg (16KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
toni morrison.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
yes or no and explain why?
>>
>>9756492
No, but I like Morrison. To my knowledge, she hasn't written anything with the scope or ambition of Ulysses (not to mention Finnegans Wake altho I'm too stupid for that book). Also her novels are thematically more narrow. Also her writing is not as good in my opinion.
>>
>>9756504
She is not even the greatest american writer of all time (that title goes to Melville)

simply, her writing isn't as good
>>
>>9756492
Apples, oranges.
Stop making everything a fucking competition

Go away.
>>
>>9756509
>She is not even the greatest american writer of all time (that title goes to Melville)
I didn't say she was, just that I like her. I agree with you its between Melville and Faulkner for me. Even for American woman writers, I prefer O'Connor, for example.
>>
File: Moza.jpg (8KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
Moza.jpg
8KB, 194x259px
>>9756492
WE
>>
File: dhalgren.jpg (11KB, 225x346px) Image search: [Google]
dhalgren.jpg
11KB, 225x346px
there is only one book that matches if not surpasses the ambition of Ulysses
>>
>>9756529
sorry I didn't mean to respond to you

but just in general
>>
>>9756530
WUZ

NIGGERS
>>
I just read Song of Solomon and really loved it.
>>
>>9756559
PREZIDENT NOW not kangz dumbass
>>
>>9756492
Cmon, her Nobel was a diversity award, she's just an average "history of my people" writer, as are most nobels except Bobby's which is a kike award. I've nothing against her, she's actually an enjoyable read, but she's no Joyce
>>
>>9756658
>she's just an average "history of my people" writer

not sure if ironic or doesn't understand that joyce is also an "ethnic" writer
>>
>>9756669
Except Joyce isn't average.
>>
>>9756492
Yes. Actually, all of Joyce's works were written by a black lesbian trans poor woman from Africa. They don't teach you those things at school though, because the white man is evil
>>
>>9756492
If you read any of her interviews she never shuts the fuck up about Joyce. she obviously idolizes him for his craftsmanship and sentence structure.
She would probably be very uncomfortable with the idea of being compared to him
>>
When we say Joyce is better than Morrison arnt we judging that on Eurocentric ideas of literature?
>>
File: 1493689623696.gif (909KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1493689623696.gif
909KB, 480x270px
>>9756700
>>
>>9756700
Please go back
>>>/pol/
>>
>>9756492

>comparing a late 20th century magical realist and realist to an early 20th century modernist, avant-garde absurdist
>>
>>9756700
Yes.

Apples and oranges.
>>
>>9756799
no
>>
>>9756678
Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Joyce be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Melville be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Milton be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Shakespeare be uncomfortable being compared to? Who would Chaucer be uncomfortable being compared to?
>>
>>9756492
>yes or no
no
>and explain why?
no eyepatch desu
>>
>>9756860

>Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to?

David Foster Wallace
>>
I think it's much more accurate to compare her to Woolf, given how ridiculously anal both are about sentence structure
>>
>>9756979
I thought about writing DFW, but I decided against it. It would be the other way around, since DFW can't hold a candle to Pynchon. No offense, DFW fans, but Pynchon is just so good that he's better than DFW.
>>
>>9756860
>Who would make Pynchon be uncomfortable being compared to?
Faulkner
>Who would Joyce be uncomfortable being compared to?
Vico
>Who would Melville be uncomfortable being compared to?
Bartleby
>Who would Milton be uncomfortable being compared to?
Homer
>Who would Shakespeare be uncomfortable being compared to?
Your mother
>Who would Chaucer be uncomfortable being compared to?
Boccacio
>>
>>9756510
It's not apples to oranges

And stop pretending you can't compare/contrast apples and oranges
>>
>>9756818
Yes
>>9757067
It is. You like Joyce's writing better for reasons, you like apples better for reasons. Not invalid reasons, not superior reasons.

However, if someone were to ask "Is Taolin on the same level as Joyce" the answer becomes comparing apples to rotten grapes.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.