[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CS Peirce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: cs peirce.jpg (31KB, 400x486px) Image search: [Google]
cs peirce.jpg
31KB, 400x486px
many say he was the only American philosopher that was worth anything, i.e the greatest american philosopher

why?
>>
>>9756276
"Many"

I guess you went to his descendants house
>>
File: Wvq-passport-1975-400dpi-crop.jpg (104KB, 754x767px) Image search: [Google]
Wvq-passport-1975-400dpi-crop.jpg
104KB, 754x767px
He's not
>>
>>9756276
Because he taught and strongly influenced John Maynard Keynes (I think).
>>
>>9756340
Nvm that was GE Moore
>>
well he is the founder of pragmatism, which is the only original american philosophical tradition
>>
>>9756328
what did Quine do?
>>
Charles "Purse" Pierce was a bumbling idiot who created a pile of shit that James made worthwhile.
>>
>>9756506
is this true?
>>
>>9756506
Even if we take this as given..

Peirce's contributions in mathematical logic (Preceding Frege on many developments)

being the co-founder of Semiotics among many other things already puts him as one of the greats
>>
>>9756276
Inexhaustive list of shit Peirce started: logic gates in electronics, pragmatism, semiotics, abductive reasoning, division of corollarial and theorematic deduction, mathematics of logic, 20th century philosophy of language, mathematics and logic, classification of the sciences.

He was a reinassance man involved also in statistics, spectroscopy, gravimetry, geodesy, chemistry, and experimental psychology.
>>
>>9756276
He was certainly great but only cucked liberal retards completely ignorant of the field of philosophy would think he's the only one. They probably study literature or critical theory or other bullshit for people too stupid for the rigors of academic philosophy.
>>
>>9756625
Hmm pierce seems more analytical than continental though
>>
>>9756705
Pragmatism is its own tradition.

>>9756625
"Cucked liberal retards" wouldn't know the first thing about him, should they ever encounter semiotics it'd be through Saussure, the other co-founder of the field.
>>
Gosh the people in this thread have such a limited appreciation for the vastness of American philosophers.
>>
>>9756500
Essentially ended logical positivism and the analytic/synthetic distinction.
>>
>>9757999
Quine was the heir to the logical positivist tradition and his critique of the analytic/synthetic tradition was underwritten by his naturalism in general and his behaviorism about psychology and linguistics in particular. Don't pretend like he paved the way to the Frankenstein's monster that is contemporary analytic philosophy. Rationalistic mysticism should have stayed dead in the Anglosphere.
>>
So not including the pragmatists or the transcendentalists the best American philosopher is who...... quine? Sellers ?
>>
>>9757999
Durr if ya say so
>>
>>9756747
you sound so spooked, m8
>>
>>9756276
cause they don't know shit and have a taste for picture books
>>
>>9760112
wrong
>>
I mean he isn't so the question doesn't even matter?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.