[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 6486605.jpg (54KB, 276x400px) Image search: [Google]
6486605.jpg
54KB, 276x400px
I realy liked 2666 for its subject matter ,its length(being intriguing for 800 or so pages that is) and prose .What other books would you recomend me besides the rest of Bolano?
>>
>>9755228
He gave three reasons in the post. You are on /lit/, so try to read a bit please.
>>
Damn I was just reading about this book (trying to learn spanish) and I came here to see if it would be mentioned and here's this thread right at the top
>>
>>9755244
Have you read the book? Then you know the subject matter. Ill agree that length is a bad reason, but Op liked it for its length, so there. And what about the prose? That he liked it for fucks sake. Three "actual reasons" he liked, pull your head out your ass for like ten seconds bud.
>>
>>9755237
he's right. all the three (3) reasons in the post amount to "dude it was so long and I just finished it, yay!"

it's basically all the praise you ever hear for 2666
>>
>>9755228
Maybe you are right . I just found intresting the way he ties all the diffrent narratives while finding time to move away from plot into subplots that are still intresting all by themselves . The prose it seems to me to be quite beautiful and i cant properly explain exactly why maybe i am not well read who knows ?
>>
>>9755225
>>9755276
> the prose is good

it's literally an unedited first draft translated by a woman who is on record as to being clueless about all the puns used by characters

wimmer doesn't know spanish
>>
>>9755283
I like the prose a lot too, it's very poetic but in a very plain way. Everyone talks like a poet, too, but in a manner that isn't stilted (for the most part). He's also able to capture so many different voices and keep them both consistent and unique (when they should be), just like he does in The Savage Detectives
>>
>>9755281
All three, except for the two that having nothing to do with the length. Spot on mate
>>
>>9755293
Except to say you liked the subject matter and prose, without giving any specific at all, means that your praise is subsumed under the category of "Wow, it was long and I finished it."

Hence, he is right. Empty praise to disguise the fact that you're happy you finished an unnecessarily long meme.
>>
>>9755225
Congrats on finishing this OP. Rewarding book and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Check out The Savage Detectives next. I think you'll dig.
>>
>>9755290
OP here
I didn't argue that it was a good book or for that matter that it was competently translated . I only said that i liked it ,as for its length I admire the fact that it kept me engaged for a long time without draging at any part at least in my opinion.
>>
>>9755340
That's valid. People are just being vicious (a) because they haven't read it and are jealous; and (b) making other people feel inferior about literature makes them feel smarter.

I echo the dude above. Savage detectives is great I think you'll like it too.
>>
>>9755349
thanks
>>
>>9755354
I think I'll pick up 2666 now since I've only read TSD.

Also, you ever read any Borges?
>>
>>9755361
yes i have he is actualy one of my favorite authors
>>
>>9755368
What should I read by him? All I have is his collected stories
>>
>>9755379
Probably the Aleph is a good place to start .It involves many of the themes that run through his other short stories .
>>
>>9755225
BolaƱo is a helluva a drug isn't he? I thought about 2666 for weeks after finishing it. The closest I found to his stuff is Jose Saramago (Blindness, Seeing, History of the Siege of Lisbon) McCarthys triology, Vollmanns Imperial and JM Coeteeze (Waiting for the Barbarians, Disgrace).

Enjoy OP
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.