[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which version of the text is best, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (63KB, 585x750px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceUlysses2.jpg
63KB, 585x750px
Which version of the text is best, /lit/?
>>
The Little Review version, obviously
>>
the one with the big S, M, P at the beginning of the three respective sections. I think thats the modern library one, and the vintage paper back is nice? Whatever the case it's the one that usually has the court decision by the US judge and Joyce's thank you letter printed before the novel. It's the 1961 corrected text

You could hit the Gabler if you're dissertating on it but really who needs those deleted scenes anyway? The Gabler is more disappointing than the extended LOTRs by a long shot and if you have the Gifford annotations (which pair with the pagination in the modern library edition) then he will tell you when the omitted sentences appear anyway.

I haven't any experience myself with the oxford edition. It looks cool but not as cool as the Vintage modern library one so I didn't get it, though surely it has some fine footnotes but probably can't compare to Gifford.

Here: http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/88933/ulysses-by-james-joyce/9780679722762

and

https://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Annotated-Notes-James-Joyces/dp/0520253973/ref=pd_sim_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0520253973&pd_rd_r=V7ZEZRA7R45WB2S3R9ZJ&pd_rd_w=gklnc&pd_rd_wg=yOwfL&psc=1&refRID=V7ZEZRA7R45WB2S3R9ZJ
>>
File: joyce ulysses man 01.jpg (259KB, 1000x1319px) Image search: [Google]
joyce ulysses man 01.jpg
259KB, 1000x1319px
>>9752422
Right from the manuscript
>>
>>9752629
No, not this one. I have that edition, the green one with the large "jj" on the cover, it's not the fixed text, although it's a very pretty book.
>>9752422
Any recently published should be fine, there was a huge revision that fixed the texts; the original had a lot of mistakes that plagued Joyce. The original was rushed publishers didn't speak English very well and fucked some stuff up.
>>
>>9753220
>No, not this one. I have that edition, the green one with the large "jj" on the cover, it's not the fixed text, although it's a very pretty book.

naw whatever the case I meant this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Author-Jun-16-1990-Paperback-ULYSSES/dp/B004D7YI6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499998242&sr=8-1&keywords=vintage+joyce+ulysses but couldn't find it anywhere by itself. This is the one for most university classes
>>
Someone once put it like this:

-If you want to be told what is the word known to all man, get the Gabler edition; but if you'd rather figure that out by yourself, get the corrected 1932 (31?) edition.

I went with the latter, much preferring to read what is (according to some) nearer to Joyce's original intent; whereas the Gabler is heavily modified by him (Gabler).
>>
the original 1922 penguin reproduction
>>
>>9753241
shit maybe I gotta get the 1932 and then read the Gabler after that.

How much did Gabler truly change?
>>
Is the text actually different in any of these?
>>
File: 516O8Z-o+mL.jpg (48KB, 331x500px) Image search: [Google]
516O8Z-o+mL.jpg
48KB, 331x500px
>>9753485
Just got this edition, seems good
>>
>>9752629
>It's the 1961 corrected text
this one is trash. sentences are taken out, moved around and shit. doesn't read as well
>>
File: 20571094-1_u.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
20571094-1_u.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
This is the one I have, 3 volume leatherbound limited edition of the Chinese translation (Xiao version), one volume of the translation itself, one volume of notes, and the English original to boot (a facsimile of some earlier edition I haven't bothered to figure out, with added Greek chapter titles.) Read the English and a couple of brief sections in Chinese. Not a masochist.
pic related
>>
>>9752422

The Garnett. 'Penelope' is a brisk and easy five pages long
>>
>>9753814
I started with that one, but the footnotes slowed me down so much, esp since I knew I'd revisit it for a more thorough reading later, that I picked up the 1932 version without any notes.
>>
>>9754888
checked and leled
>>
>>9754888

Except instead of ending with 'yes I said yes I will yes' she adds on 'Hurrah for Karamazov'. Odd.
>>
>>9754897
This is the first version I bought before the Oxford. Haven't gotten caught up to reading it yet, so would you rec I start with this version or the previously posted one here >>9753814
>>
File: IMG_0091.jpg (82KB, 306x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0091.jpg
82KB, 306x475px
thisun
>>
File: ulyssess.jpg (185KB, 572x675px) Image search: [Google]
ulyssess.jpg
185KB, 572x675px
I have this translated edition (the best to brazilian portuguese), hard cover. its very, very pretty, and a good translation too. 0 footnotes though.
>>
>>9755350
this is the best edition -- this and any other edition which contains the 1961 version (including >>9755374)
>>
>>9753828
are you thinking of the Gabler?
>>
>>9754824
were you the guy that started the Chinese FW thread a few weeks ago? if so would you mind posting a page again, thanks.
>>
>>9752422

Haven't I woven such a marvelous web though? I mean really, if you connect all the dots its great. Its my magnum opus. My very own life.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.