[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Note taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: note man.jpg (221KB, 1300x1205px) Image search: [Google]
note man.jpg
221KB, 1300x1205px
Who here does this? Is it worth my time?

I feel like I'll get too focused on making my notes good instead of reading the book, or I'll end up spending years on one book simply to get perfect notes.
>>
>>9751857
Never for fiction. Sometimes for non-fiction.
I like to make timeline posters for history books sometimes though.
>>
>>9752263
>>9752263
>I like to make timeline posters for history books sometimes though.
How do you make them?
>>
>>9752263
>>9752455
Seconded. I got some timeline posters from university but they are extremely superficial and don't include literature or any of the big wars of say Greek history. I've written down major events with corresponding year as well as dates for lit, plays and other influential stuff. The issue now is to bring these on a digital timeline and being able to print them out/edit them at any given time. I'm currently working on my Greek/Asian timeline and plan on doing the same for the Romans, late antiquity, medieval ages etc. so help would be great appreciated. I thought of using draw.io for my projects.
>>
>>9751857
Depends. If it's for like Gass, Pynchon, Gaddis, etc then yes notes are reasonable
>>
>>9751857
I take notes on books like "How to talk to Anyone" by Leil Lowndes. I personally would not do it for fiction tho
>>
>>9751857
no with fiction, yes with non-fiction.
if its philosophy, then I'm unsure you could continue without first sketching out timelines/notes/overviews.
>>
>>9753408
If you have some timelines already made, you should post some. I'd love to see them.
>>
>>9753646
It probably won't be useful to you for several reasons. Most of what I collected so far I've written down on a notepad. Most of it (alright all of it) is Wikipedia tier information. It's mostly things interesting to me and so far I only written things down I personally read in primary sources. Furthermore I'm still not even finished with Thucydides. All the information on Asia so far comes from Herodotus and has a lot of gaps. So it's probably gonna take a while until I can finish this and upload it here. I'd be glad to though so people can look it over and correct me.

The one I got hanging on my wall is only a periodic one i. e. Minoan ages, dark ages etc.
>>
Note taking, the interesting art of autism threads.
>>
>>9751857
I draw vertical lines next to passages I deem important or impactful. Then I flip through the book after I'm done and reread those passages. Simple as that.

Oh and I also circle words I don't know.
>>
>>9752455
I focus on dates and facts. I have a large timeline from all known human history and make more specific ones to elaborate important times (Greek, Roman kingdom/republic/empire, etc.)
I use different colors for wars, political events, art/cultural events and dates of important people.
If I find a particular part of one of these times particularly interesting I will make another more specific timeline. For example one for the greco-persian war or the Peloponnesian war including important battles and generals, etc.
>>
>>9751857
If it's for enjoyment I'll read it linearly. If it's nonfiction; I might occasionally look up related topics. If it's fiction; I might look up a plot summary if it's a hard read to see if I am up to speed.

If it's studying I'll summarize each chapter after I've read it and after the book is done I'll draw some sort of outline of it. It forces me to dissect what is said.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.