[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

McCarthy is one of my favorites, but I can't get into Suttree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Suttree.jpg (29KB, 322x489px) Image search: [Google]
Suttree.jpg
29KB, 322x489px
McCarthy is one of my favorites, but I can't get into Suttree the way I couldn't get into The Orchard Keeper. It's not bad, it's just that the narrative is too jumpy for my taste. The story isn't getting anywhere too.

Please suggest what to read instead. Also feel free to discuss Suttree.
>>
It's his best book.
>>
Suttree does have the most meandering plot of McCarthy's novels. The Road, No Country for Old Men are much more conventionally plotted (but the Sherrifs stories about the old days can meander a bit).

While you're reading it Child of God seems to meander but in hindsight it depicts Lester becoming progressively more alienated from society.
>>
>>9750837
There are words, but they don't say anything. Go watch TV or do something else that matches your intellectual power.

>>9750846
Child of God was my favorite. It had the bleakness and grey veil of every McCarthy book without being so vapid as NCFOM was (I liked that too, but it was different from everything else. The critics said it was "the most accessible" of his books.
>>
>>9750812
This is one of the most beautiful books ever written. It isn't really much more meandering than Blood Meridian, Child Of God or The Crossing. Just enjoy the ride, man.
>>
>>9750871

I might finish it, yes. Still looking for suggestions though
>>
File: top[2].jpg (81KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
top[2].jpg
81KB, 600x315px
>>9750837
>I concur.

How can you not love a book where a guy gets shot in the ass for fucking a watermelon?
>>
>>9750858
>these are words but they dont say anything

>x was my favorite
>>
Suttree never really goes anywhere but there is a scene in the last 50 or so pages that will leave you with a tear in your eye.
>>
>>9751344
Outer Dark is often overlooked in McCarthy's work and it's a pretty interesting early work. Read some Faulkner if you haven't, McCarthy lifted many of his mannierisms and themes straight from him.
>>
>>9751374
Somebody has been fuckin my watermelons.
>>
>>9751821
Suttree's about change in the sense of progress or 'improvement,' and the invisible powers that motivate it. From a perspective that concerns itself with what all gets sacrificed, call it the dregs humanity or personality or culture. If the conclusion doesn't send a chill up your spine (you) probably belong on some other board. It's an amazing work.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.