[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning french

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: French-Flag.jpg (49KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
French-Flag.jpg
49KB, 600x398px
I've picked up learning french to feel like I'm actually learning something because I kept feeling I'm becoming dumber despite everyday reading.

How do I go about it? I downloaded a grammar book and I'm going trough Duolingo but it doesn't feel right and I miss a lot of concepts (mostly because most grammar book deal with verbs only when there is so much more I need to get through).

English is my second language and I have a limited knowledge of german so I know I have the ability to learn other languages but it's strange how slow it's going.

Should I start manually translating children's books? What do you guys do for fun when learning languages?
>>
Duolingo is trash.
Google is your friend.
>>
Grammar Book
Memrise/Anki
Children's programs/books
Pen pal
Audio courses
>>
File: pp.jpg (160KB, 1471x2445px) Image search: [Google]
pp.jpg
160KB, 1471x2445px
Try this,
Or short stories, easier to stay focused than with long texts. Even translations of stuff you've read in your native language or in English a long time ago.
>>
Try Rosetta stone. Is better than you might think
>>
>>9750565
Lingvist and anki for vocabulary

Pimsleur
FSI french
Michel Thomas
>>
>>9750565

I tried a lot of what you are describing.
Duolingo is too repetitive for me. They drill you on very basic questions over and over again such as the correct article, it just isn't necessary. Since you are posting this on /lit/ instead of /int/ I'm going to assume you want to learn french for reading knowledge. In which case, grammar drills are absolutely useless. I don't need to know the correct gender, that will be supplied in the text. I don't need to know the conjugations, they will already be conjugated for me in whatever I read.

Translating to learn is a shitty idea. Translating is not the same as reading. What good does it do you to constantly stop and say "now how will I write this paragraph in English?" The goal is to read French not write English.
You just need to read, don't stop to translate. Translating is its own act.
>>
Don't use Duolingo shit. Download Sandberg's "French for Reading" and do it cover to cover, twice if you need to, and then get some side-by-side French readers and start reading and translating real French.

Vocab is not learning a language. Learning a language is understanding how its grammar works. Use a real book.
>>
>>9751548

Download from where?
>>
File: 3mLydMU.png (70KB, 243x200px) Image search: [Google]
3mLydMU.png
70KB, 243x200px
>>9751539

Holy Christ, don't listen to this cunt. This is literally the worst advise I have ever seen in regards to language learning.

Fuck me, how did you finish secondary school? Did you have to go back and get your GED once they allowed cripples to bring helpers in to exams?
>>
>>9751560

Feel free to make a point at any time.
>>
>>9751560
If you're going to tear down a contribution, it's more helpful to put something in its place.
>>
Quit French, start Spanish.
>>
Be careful you don't end up masturbating over the best material instead of actually spending time with French.
>>
>>9751577
Spotted the American
>>
>>9751573
>>9751565

Everything else here is fine or whatever, just fuck that "don't learn grammar, it too hard" nonsense and ALWAYS learn the gender when learning a new word. It's rule number one.
>>
I second French for Reading by Sandberg. God knows where to find a copy online though. You might be better off getting a physical copy off abebooks anyway though.

It's good because it doesn't piss around with "authentic culture" or having you learn how to talk to the guy at the fucking boulangerie. It does exactly what it says it will do, which is teach "French for Reading".
>>
>>9751590

That's not what I said.
I said it's a waste of time doing endless grammar drills if you're only seeking reading competency.
If you were to be an independent speaker then you would need constructive grammar knowledge, which is what drilling builds.

But in everything published that I read, all the grammar is complete and correct. YOU CAN LITERALLY CONSTRUCT AN ENTIRE LANGUAGE'S GRAMMAR BY DOING NOTHING BUT INTERPRETING PUBLISHED TEXTS.

Knowing the gender is another thing that is totally superfluous, it will be in the text. You don't even understand the premise of the thread.
>>
>>9751603
theres two versions on libgen but the text is really streatched on both for some reason.
>>
Commence par matter des films, le francais parlé est souvent plus simple à comprendre que le francais écrit.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.