[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

talent vs practise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
134KB, 1920x1080px
I follow a discussion on the internet

is it possible to write a good book (not a best seller but something that has a decent plot, decent characters and decent dialogues) through alot of practise even if you dont have a alot of talent in creative writing?
>>
>>9746818
You overdid it.
>>
>>9746818
Even if you had talent, you wouldn't know it. No one just gets up and writes a masterpiece instantly. Although its easier for some, they still work hard to get where they are
>>
>>9746832
i personally struggled with creative writing in school. I was better in writing an analysis or arguments
>>
Obsession is a good substitute for talent. (Some really intelligent guy said it, forgot the name though).
>>
Its more about the soul of the writer.
>>
>>9746948
what do you mean?
>>
>>9746848
I can confirm this.
The problem is that, afaik, you can't decide what to get obssesed with, it doesn't seem like something you can will your way into.
>>
>>9746818
In writing, reading is a good deal of your practice. If you haven't been an avid reader for most of your life you will be left in the dust. Since the bar for minimum practice (in reading at least) is set so high, talent becomes the major determining factor in how good a writer you may be. Also, you can't get away with just focusing on practicing writing while forgoing reading. The effectiveness of your practice at writing depends on how much reading you've done. There's no shortcut.
>>
>>9747149
i used to like reading fanfiction to game series etc (some of them had a nice writing style) I only had problems reading books because it took me awhile to get into it
>>
>>9747171
Have fun with your fanfiction-tier writing. It's not as bad as it sounds though, you might end up writing the next Fifty Shades of Grey.
>>
>>9747388
i read fanfiction that doesnt have a bad writing style. Some of them are their own series that could become their own book series
>>
>>9747504
Name them.
>>
>>9747538
These are German fan fiction and its a long time ago
>>
>>9746818
Practice begets talent. How do you not know this yet? Everyone who was ever good at anything was good because they put in time practicing.
>>
>>9746818
What people call "natural talent" as far as writing is concerned is mostly just a latent sense of the elements therein; a product of voracious reading over a long period of time. The less reading you've done in your life, the harder it'll be to get that natural feel for things.

That said, it is possible to be a decent writer if you didn't spend your entire childhood cloistered in the school library. I'd even go so far as to say it would lower your potential. If other people's stories are your only life experiences, your own writing will be highly iterative, i.e. uncreative and boring. A lot of the worst writers in the western world are people who've done a lot of reading (quality notwithstanding).

The best way to practice writing is writing. You read so you have a frame of reference to judge how your own work compares and how you can improve on it.
>>
>>9747648
thank you for your answer
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.