[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which book got you into /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

let's face it we didn't start by reading Proust and Joyce, which book got you interested/engaged into serious literature, struck you down and turned you from beeing a plebian Saul into the multilingual, Shakespeare-reciting St.Paul you are today
>>
Thus spoke Zarathustra and history of western philosophy by Russell
>>
I don't actually read, I come here for the memes
>>
File: wishbone-as-robin-hood.png (880KB, 1317x887px) Image search: [Google]
wishbone-as-robin-hood.png
880KB, 1317x887px
>>9744126
Dr. Seuss taught me to read, then the next big one was HG Wells. My cousin got me a set of The Time Machine, Invisible Man, and War of the Worlds for my 9th or 10th birthday, and that was pretty much that... branched out into Jules Verne, Three Musketeers, King Arthur stories, etc. There was also some Wishbone involved at some point.
>>
>>9744126
Dorian Gray and some brazillian authors.
>>
>>9744126
>Thus spoke Zarathustra
are you me?
>>
>>9744126
I got myself into /lit/
the first book I read after making this commitment was Lolita, but I can assure you that that didn't convince me to love literature. I just kept kind of force-reading books until I ended up liking them.

The first book I read on my own that was really good was probably portrait of a lady.
>>
love in the time of cholera
>>
Fantasy stuff like Lord of the Rings and Terry Brooks, as well as Greek and Roman mythology, always interested me as kid. I actually stopped reading during high school and then picked it up zealously when I started university.
>>
I was reading Agatha Christie and Steven King for a while, 10th grade English class I read A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. They probably got me more into lit than anything.
>>
>>9744126
Notes from the underground
>>
Poetry by Homer.

I am multilingual, but I don't know Shakespeare off by heart.
>>
Fernando Pessoa.

He was a poet from Portugal, which had dozens of personas. He had real mental illness, and each one of his personalities was a single genius poet, with totally different attributes.

When I saw that, I realized theres was something else to discover in literature.
>>
>>9744126
Infinite Jest summer after junior year. recommended by some crossposter on /v/
>>
>>9744555
>each
But anon Reis sucks.
>>
>>9744126
I started by reading the ol bukowski when my life was shit and only went downhill with Dostoyevsky and other such authors
>>
The Closing of the American Mind. My grandfather had an old copy lying around that I used to read. Got me on the Straussian track in college, which was a drag in the end but I read a lot of cool shit.
>>
tbqh, i rarely read, and the only things I've read besides some fantasy when I was younger are Beowulf, Illiad, and some Lovecraft short stories
>>
File: 1496876085580.png (59KB, 526x636px) Image search: [Google]
1496876085580.png
59KB, 526x636px
ATLAS SHRUGGED
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.