[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a well written character be perfect and have no flaws?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: spongebob.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
Can a well written character be perfect and have no flaws?
>>
Yeah; check out my diary.
>>
>>9741345
Yes, by Dostoevsky
>>
>>9741412
Stravogin?
>>
>>9741412
A stand in for Jesus doesn't count.
>>
>>9741420
What's funny is that Jesus, as in Jesus Christ, is literally the archetype of the sort of character the OP is looking for. He never sinned, and he was, to a certain degree, perfect and flawless. Yet if you read the Gospels he's compelling and interesting.

I suppose the lesson of Jesus as a character is that you can have someone who's pretty much perfect, but you have to sort of pit them against an imperfect world. The reason Jesus is interesting to read about is because he's totally driven by the mission he receives from God, but the world bumps against him at every turn, so much so that it eventually turns on him and executes him. Jesus is interesting because of the way he interacts with other people, for good or ill. So I suppose one might argue that a "perfect" character can be interesting, but only if they're the sole, solitary perfect character, and everyone else is imperfect in contrast.
>>
>>9741439
I didn't say Jesus didn't count.
>>
Yes. Anything can work in the right context handled with the right care. To assume a good character cannot be flawed is to assume laws of fiction writing nobody but a lowly Realist would abide by.
>>
>>9741439
I've seen people call Jesus a mary sue, are they the original plebs?
>>
having a perfect character is a dumb idea, no where to grow, nothing to learn, you just see them being perfect in every situation. flawed characters make a better story in my opinion
>>
Am I the only one who remembers how Jesus hated those piggies?
>>
>>9741345
Having no flaws is in itself a flaw.
>>
>>9741439
How was Jesus flawless? To start with, he was a Jew.
>>
>>9741439
/thread
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.