[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the worst fantasy cliches?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
8KB, 259x194px
What are the worst fantasy cliches?
>>
Just my personal taste: but I'm tired of seeing the same mystical creatures and usually the same medieval setting
But that's why I don't bother with fantasy in any form anymore
>>
Resurecting characters.
>>
scottish dwarves
>>
>>9739014
For modern fantasy, grey moral characters.
>>
>>9739014
tolkienesque fantasy is a genre wholly comprised of cliches.
>>
"The Chosen One"
Seriously, fuck that. A protagonist should be forced to work to acheive greatness, not be handed it on a silver platter.
>>
>>9739014
The setting is always a variation of medieval fortresses, wild/unknown forests and a bleak looking wilderness.
The characters are boring because they are always the same elves, sorcerers, wanderers, warriors, dwarves and trolls. They are also very rarely solid and believable, but that does not have much to do with the fact that the genre is fantastic fiction. No new creatures and most of all, no new stories.

The majority of writers are convinced that they have to write exactly like Tolkien or Lewis to make believable fantastic fiction. They are not wrong insofar as they mean believable, fleshed out characters with decent backstories and motivation, but they take it too far. They mirror their descriptions, their settings, their characters, their everything. There's nothing new in what they write. Ironically, they have no fantasy.

If you want to read good, more recent, fantasy go with Pratchett.
>>
>>9739019
Oh man, yeah. Like, there's literally hundreds of thousands, if not millions of crazy, awesome mythological creatures to draw from, any all we see are dragons, fairies, mermaids, centaurs and sometimes griffons and harpies. Like, fuck that. Goddamn. What about Adlets or Baka-Kujiras? Give me something fun, jesus.
>>
>>9739126
Precise. Not to mention there are a lot of strange lifeforms which could be turned into mythical creatures.

I'm fine with a few of the usual bunch but I would also like to see something fresh. There is enough material to work with in both myth and beyond.
>>
>>9739126
I'm writing one where the horses have wolf heads. Is that interesting at all?
>>
>>9739014
Weapons that make regular scrubs master swordsmen. Undead. Halflings outside Tolkien lore. Diarrhoea descriptions. Too strong magic and Big bad baddy.
>>
>>9739014
What's wrong with dragons?
>>
>>9739052

That's the problem when the author isn't smart enough to write outside of the "moral quest" cliche. Tolkien, Lewis, Rowling, etc. all write Good vs. Evil, and since it's such a cliche and has been for millennia, the reaction of any retarded hack is to either copy that or rebel superficially with "morally GREY characters". Which means that they still think in terms of elementary morals and can't just allow the characters to breathe on their own.

Most human actions aren't moral or immoral. That doesn't mean they're grey actions, between moral and immoral; they're just human actions.
>>
Tax policies.
>>
>>9739014
>prophecy
>the chosen one who is probably from royalty
>generic medieval woods and castles

Fuck that, I want fantasy that actually feels fantastical.
>>
>>9739014
shit writing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.