[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to Continue?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0132.jpg (36KB, 338x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0132.jpg
36KB, 338x450px
What do I read after starting with the Greeks and continuing with the Romans?
>>
Restart with the greeks
>>
>>9738760
don't forget the Hellenics
then move on to the medievals/scholastics
maybe get some Islamic Aristotelians into the mix
>>
>>9738760
I'd kinda want a chart for this, much the same as we have for the Greeks and the Romans.
>>
>>9738785
Exactly, maybe something along the lines of a flow chart that goes into detail about all the literature that is influenced by the Greeks and Romans. That would be useful.
>>
>>9738778
Is there a chart or reading list or something or other for that?
>>
>>9738814
you can check out bloom's western canon list for that. for the greeks and the romans you pretty much can just follow the whole list, but from "Middle Ages" ages on, there is just too much stuff it is impossible to read all, so you will have to filter a bit and see what were the most important works and what interest you.

for instance, a small list of what I consider core middle ages

>augustine's works
>beowulf
>dante's comedy
>machiavelli's works
>don quijote
>shakespeare's works
>hobbes' leviathan
>milton's paradise lost
>defoe's robinson crusoe
>montaigne's essays
>pascal's pensées
>rosseau's works
>voltaire's works
>goethe's works

so you see, this is like 1/10 of the works in the middle ages section of blooms list, so its impossible to put it in a chart or whatever, after the romans you just have to see what interest you
>>
>>9738778
this is only for philosophy b t w
>>
>>9738846
Well to be fair, that covers more than one potential division. We could break that into two - Medieval and Renaissance, for example.
>>
Helpful thread.
>>
File: 1478291199947.jpg (101KB, 1001x849px) Image search: [Google]
1478291199947.jpg
101KB, 1001x849px
Go with the indians, Mahabharata bibek debroy translation is the best. From there go to the Chinese than the japanese.
>>
File: Shakespeare.jpg (3MB, 1943x2489px) Image search: [Google]
Shakespeare.jpg
3MB, 1943x2489px
>>9738760
Invest you time in the Inventor.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.