[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there really any purpose in discussing literature, do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: hAZwh9K.jpg (221KB, 750x1098px) Image search: [Google]
hAZwh9K.jpg
221KB, 750x1098px
Is there really any purpose in discussing literature, do you get something out of it? How often do you find your opinions or changed by those of others? I've been browsing this board for years now and have never once been influenced by another's interpretations or suggestions, and I'd be interested to hear how often this holds true for other anons

I believe this is because of the fundamental difficulty in articulating one's understanding of ideas. There is a divide between articulating a thought, and the thought. Something is lost in translation, and whenever I read another's thoughts, or even my own transcribed, they lack in the niceties of expression that make meaning and distinction. Indeed, is this not inescapably so as both meaning and distinction are relative to and informed by the subtleties of one's own conception, their psychology of psychology? I cannot be convinced against my own by anything fleshed out and so rendered formless -- but that being so I am troubled that then reading itself is a hollow endeavor, that we occupy ourselves with shadows.

What do?
>>
>>9736696
your opinions or thoughts*
>>
Read Dilthey, Heidegger, Gadamer, Wittgenstein, Collingwood, Deleuze
>>
>>9736696
Part of the enjoyment is simply from finding others who like things you do, and finding out why they liked them and comparing that to yourself. Similarly, anons who dislike things, why, and how it measures up to your own views.
My opinions are not always changed by discussion here, but its interesting an helps me think more deeply about any given piece, and often gives me different perspectives. There is also the poetry critique threads. Anons don't give a fuck about offending you so they're honest. Brutally so. This is very useful, especially when everywhere else people's opinions are shaped by their perceptions of you or themselves.
>>
>>9736696
You've essentially described a core tenant of Modernism. But anyways, yes my opinions have been swayed and I've learned a lot coming here. I feel like the discussion here is smart enough that even the shitposting points out flaws in my arguments or points I didn't consider. It's no substitute for an actual literature class but it's still informative and entertaining.
>>
>>9736706
Already did.

If a lion could talk we could not understand him. But talk we must. It profits nothing to discredit everything as utterly subjective.
>>
>>9736696
Why do people discuss anything with anyone? Why would someone Your deconstruction of interaction with other people on a Chinese cartoon forum is going to do what, exactly? If your argument is true, then there is no point in discussing the thought with others on this website.
>>
>>9736761
>Why do people discuss anything with anyone?
That's a stupid question considering the fact we do have discussions is a thing manifest.
>>
>>9736696
I've gotten good recs, detected holes in my reading, and have been influenced by those who knew more about a subject than I have.
>>
>>9736761
Then why are you discussing then?
>>
i feel ya opie
many cannot into philosophical charity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.