[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contemporary cosmic horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: hplovecraftprinter.jpg (16KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
hplovecraftprinter.jpg
16KB, 214x317px
Hey /lit/

What are some cosmic horror stories or books from the recent years that are worth checking out?
>>
>>9734964
Ballad of Black Tom
>>
File: Ligotti Prose.jpg (87KB, 633x345px) Image search: [Google]
Ligotti Prose.jpg
87KB, 633x345px
>>9734964
Read Thomas Ligotti's short story collection "Teatro Grottesco". His stories "Town Manager" and "The Bungalow House" are incredible. The man has literally been described by critics as the modern Lovecraft. His horror focuses more on the hum-drum, bureaucratic meaninglessness that afflicts the everyday worker's life. Lovecraft makes his monsters feel otherworldly, Ligotti makes his monsters feel corporate, and as a result much more realistically relevant to one's life.

Seriously read his stuff. Pic related.
>>
>>9736466
That's really boring and I don't want to read more of him, now.
>>
File: Joshi.jpg (62KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
Joshi.jpg
62KB, 320x500px
>>9734964
The Black Wings anthology series edited by ST Joshi. They're up to volume 5
>>
>>9734964
catcuck
>>
>>9735130
Race focused SJW tier trash. Fuck off with that.
>>
>>9736718
I thought this too but it really is actually good.
>>
>>9736475
It's boring, not because whatever that anon was talking about. Corporate monsters? No, it's boring because he has little imagination, check that quote. It reads like that all the time. Lovecraft was a rather bad writer but his lore is great to explore. Ligotti is just a gloomy chap describing a downpour as demonic rain. Wouldn't read again. I would end up switching to Le Fanu or M. R. James again after 15 pages anyway.
>>
File: 1499629278073.jpg (30KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1499629278073.jpg
30KB, 600x450px
>>9734964
>>
Blindsight by Peter Watts deals with a more concretely explained "other" in the universe, and even if it is not exactly as metaphysical as Lovecraft's creatures and universe and explanations as a fan you'd probably still like it.
>>
>>9736466
the corporate monster stuff sounds interesting, but that was really lame to read desu. Lovecraft's not a literary prose god, but that excerpt...
>>
File: 1488634267774.jpg (783KB, 1000x799px) Image search: [Google]
1488634267774.jpg
783KB, 1000x799px
I've found that when Ligotti is on point he really is all he's hyped up to be as the contemporary Lovecraft. Unfortunately, the only collection of his I've read, the Songs of a Dead Dreamer & Grimscribe anthology, was uneven in providing these moments. A few stories were outstanding, but quite a lot were less so. Perhaps that was a result of it being two books in one that it felt overlong and overfilled, so I'm still looking forward to trying Teatro Grottesco.

Machen is really doing it for me recently, but is in no way contemporary, sorry.
>>
john langans THE FISHERMAN!
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.