[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thesis Ideas on English Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: philip-larkin.jpg (624KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
philip-larkin.jpg
624KB, 2048x1536px
I have to write a thesis this year and I'm not so experienced. So, I need a hand.

The thesis I'd like to write should be about Philip Larkin because it's one of the best poets for me but I don't know what the topic should be about. It may be about Schopenhauer's ideas on death vs Larkin's poems(High Windows, Ambulances, Wants, This be the Verse) or the theme of mortality and pessimism in those poems.

What do you think? I'm open to other suggestions.
>>
Or maybe a Marxist criticism on "Money" by Larkin?

>inb4 sjw
>>
Hope there's someone experienced who is interested in poetry ;_;
>>
>>9733571
I think you should do your own homework bro

Ask your teacher for help, he's there for a reason
>>
>>9733610
It's summertime, you know?
>>
>>9733927
You should still email with them, I'm sure they check at least once a week. I would hope for you to do the Schopenhauer one, I have never made that connection. I think the pessimism aspect is studied pretty extensively. Good luck.
>>
>>9733933
Thanks for your good wishes, but the professor doesn't have an e-mail. So, I want to get some advice here as much as I can.
>>
Great idea OP, big Larkin fan here.

Why not do a thesis about Larkin's promotion of mundanity?

I've always appreciated Larkin because he recognizes the impulses to be a hedonist ("she's wearing a diaphragm, he's fucking her" etc) and to quit his job and live a more adventurous life ("Poetry of Departures") yet in the end he settles for and subtly vaolrizes the "reprehensible perfect" life of post-War britain. There's an argument to be made that this is the consequence of a dying empire (no potential to move abroad and live more exotically), a changing class dynamic (the ability to live more comfortable and the trappings of said comfort) or just the stoic acknowledgement that in order for society to function it takes countless frustrated and overlooked individuals like himself to repress their longing and desire.
>>
>>9733965
Also, if this is of interest why not make an attempt to explore Larkin's work in the context of the Angry Young Men that took place in the 50s and 60s?

He lived in Hull and covers a great many themes people like John Osborne, Alan Sillitoe etc. He was even good friends with Kingsley Amis who is perhaps the most famous member of that group.

Either way I recommend reading a book called The Angry Decade by Kenneth Allsop, it's a fantastic work of critical theory about British literature in the 50s and 60s.
>>
>>9733965
>>9733975
I'm impressed of what you've written but now I'm watching it and should finish soon. Thanks, I'll be back ;_; really thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqa6L22m0rY
Philip Larkin: Love and Death in Hull
>>
>>9733989
I've seen Love and Death in Hull and like it a lot.

Which country are you from by the way?
>>
>>9733965
I've thought of doing it about mundanity, but I think it's already done by so many people. It can be done by analyzing his poems in terms of mundanity and futility.

>no potential to move abroad
Today I've learned he wanted to live in Hull until the end of his life, and looked for nowhere to live or get amused. It can be a good example as you said.

By the way, I wanted to analyze his poems in the light of existentialism but I think it'd be easier and full of repetitions. I'll give a chance if you say "it's okay."

>>9733975
I've saved what you've written regarding Angry Young Men and will read those books as soon as possible. Thank you.

>>9734086
I think you've realised I'm a non-native English speaker cause I speak it really bad. I live in Turkey and want to do a master's degree here.
>>
>>9734134
After reading something about Angry Young Men, I've thought of writing it about "from The Movement to Angry Young Men" and it can enable me to scrutinize the transition of Larkin's writing if there's something like that ;_;
>>
bump for just general ideas on essays, papers, thesis, etc.
>>
>>9734833
Thanks for the bump.
>>
>>9734841
You are welcome for that bump earlier
>>
>>9734150
Interesting idea.
>>
>>9733936
>the professor doesn't have an e-mail
Literally wut?
>>
>>9734150
What the fuck is The Movement?

Just write a thesis called "Angry Old Man: Philip Larkin's relationship with 1950s British fiction"

Here is a great quotation from Angry Decade that defines what exactly made an Angry Young Man:

>""irreverence, stridency, impatience with tradition, vigour, vulgarity, sulky resentment against the cultivated and a hard-boiled muscling-in on culture, […] self-pity, deliberate disengagement from politics, fascist ambitions, schizophrenia, rude dislike of anything phoney or fey, […] a general intellectual nihilism, honesty, a neurotic discontent and a defeated, reconciled acquiescence that is the last flimsy shelter against complete despondency""

Does Larkin qualify?

>vulgarity
'High Windows'
https://www.jstor.org/stable/1343890?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

>neurotic discontent
'Neurotics'

>Fascist ambitions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3132181/Philip-Larkin-deserves-spot-Poets-Corner-says-N-WILSON.html

>defeated, reconciled acquiescence
'Poetry Of Departure'
>>
>>9737854
I've never expected such a brilliant and detailed post ;_; Thank you, my saviour.

I have been to the university today but couldn't find the professor I want to see. I think your post will be sufficient for a bachelor thesis.
>>
>>9737854
>The Angry Decade by Kenneth Allsop
I'm another one interested in this thread. Do you have the pdf of it cause I can't find it anywhere?
>>
>>9737854
The Angry Decade costs a lot, is there any pdf or epub? ;_;
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.