[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

irony & sincerity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

How do I stop being ironic and embrace sincerity?
I don't know if it's the literature I read or the media I consume, or if it's living modern life in a major city
most likely it's posting on 4chan for too many years
But I can't express anything genuine anymore
Moreover, I don't even feel anything genuine anymore
My gf for instance is constantly upset because of me because I can't show any kind of sincere affection or warmth anymore
I don't enjoy anything anymore
I just sneer

tl;dr - how do I overcome irony and cynicism and embrace sincerity?

Are there any books I could read that would help me?

>implying I still have the willpower and discipline to read anything
>>
fully give yourself to the irony and eventually its repulsive properties will propel you to the other side
>>
bumping for advice
>>
Go travel or something.
>>
>>9733277
Realise that the source is mostly low self-esteem and the inability to trust.
>>
>>9733505
could you elaborate on that?
>>
>>9733277
take the redpill
>>
>>9733505
Yup
>>
>>9733516
which is what in this case
>>
>>9733511
There's a 99% chance that OP hasn't actually undergone any development towards sociopathy that leaves him without genuine emotions.
Instead, it's a defense mechanism. It's caused by (legitimate or exaggerated) suspicion and amplified by low self-esteem until, for example, it becomes too risky to tell someone you love them out of fear of rejection or ridicule.
It goes in a similar way for enjoying things. A confident, non-neurotic person will not only have guilty pleasures but even feel okay announcing them. A slightly neurotic person will be sure not to let anyone on to their guilty pleasures. A very neurotic person will hate themselves for having guilty pleasures, for they ought to be better than that. At some point, it becomes very hard to find any untainted and pure pleasure good enough for you. People start to idolize animals, or the noble savage, until at last, like Kaczyinsky, they only find solace in nature.

All of that is already explained in the bible with the whole "you cannot love until you love yourself" thing. Otherwise you will be unable to forgive mistakes in others that you cannot forgive in yourself.
Unfortunately, once that normie blanket of "You suck, I suck, everyone sucks, what's the matter teehee" is stripped away, it's very hard to go back under it because in reality, you should hate yourself for how flawed you are and you know it.
>>
You can't consciously become sincere and authentic. So you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>9733595
> it's a defense mechanism. It's caused by (legitimate or exaggerated) suspicion and amplified by low self-esteem until, for example, it becomes too risky to tell someone you love them out of fear of rejection or ridicule.

i don't have a problem with expressing myself, and, for example, i tell my gf that i love her etc - we're very open with each other

the problem is just that i do not feel anything about anything
>>
>>9733277
>how do i stop [voluntary behavior under my control]
that's a real tough question pal
i would recommend concentration meditation
>>
>>9733643
If you say it without meaning it and just go through the motion, the point still stands.
If you say and you mean it, then you do feel warmth and more.
>>
Read Infinite Jest. All of these issues are discussed in that book.
>>
just chill and wait it out, irony destroys itself since it doesn't protect you from suffering, in fact it causes suffering.

isn't OP's post a lament about his inability to not be ironic? so OP isn't being ironic in his post. there you go. as you live longer to whatever extent you remain ironic, you'll suffer more and become less ironic because you can't be ironic when you're actually suffering.
>>
>>9734628
makes sense
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.