[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intro to Simon Bolivar/Spanish American wars of independence

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: simon_bolivar.jpg (113KB, 787x1000px) Image search: [Google]
simon_bolivar.jpg
113KB, 787x1000px
I want to learn about Simon Bolivar but I don't know anything about South American history (other than a little Brazilian history), so I don't think it's worth reading a biography of him.

What are some good (English language) books about the Spanish American wars of independence for someone with relatively little background knowledge? Extra points if it's a book that's likely to be stocked in my local library.
>>
>>9732351
Listen to the fifth set of mike Duncan's revolutions podcast
>>
File: Simon-Bolivar-1-ppcorn.jpg (150KB, 1300x650px) Image search: [Google]
Simon-Bolivar-1-ppcorn.jpg
150KB, 1300x650px
>>9732364
Thanks for the recommendation, how detailed is the podcast? Do you have any book recommendations?
>>
Read Bolivar by Marie Arana. pretty good biography of the man.
>>
>>9732428
Why do you like this book over the other biographies?
>>
>>9732424
Very detailed. It's the second longest section of that podcast behind the French Revolution. I'm not the other poster but honestly this is the best answer.
>>
>>9732364
Your podcast is dogshit Mike
>>
>>9732931
why?
>>
Read what he wrote? I don't know about translations but you can read Carta de Jamaica where he addresses very well the region's problems at the time and other things. Know also that Simón Rodríguez was his biggest influence and friend. This last guy is quite complex though and you'd need some background knowledge on the Illustration's views on basically everything, but his own views (and writing) are pretty fucking avant-garde for his time.

If you want more about the Independence processes and their aftermaths here look for Ángel Rama's essays and seriously read Pedro Páramo. Understand that each nation has very different problems but there's stuff that's common to all. Reading 19th Century Argentinian literature won't help you if you need to know about Chile or Perú or Haití or México. Brazil is also its own humongous monster quite different to the rest, very unique and rich.
>>
>>9732351
i don't know if there are english translations, but Las lanzas coloradas by Arturo Uslar Pietri and El general en su laberinto by Garcia Marquez are pretty good.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.