[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Charles Dickens

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (12KB, 196x258px)
images.jpg
12KB, 196x258px
Is he any good? What are his besr books? Did he only wrote because he was payed for each word?
>>
>>9729493
Bump for hope
>>
>>9729493
A lot of his stuff is wordy because he *did* get paid per words, and I believe they were released as serials. However, I love his work. He is *very* sentimental both in his work and his life, to the point that he set up a home to help get prostitutes off the streets and teach them a trade to help them earn a living, financed AFAIK entirely out of his own pocket. David Copperfield is good. Oliver Twist, too. I guess I haven't read any Dickens I *don't* like, but I have to be in the right mood. I basically have the same feeling toward the majority of his work. Sale of Two Titties and a couple others are rather different from this majority to me, though.
>>
>>9729493
His compassion often goes too far and becomes mawkishness, and many of his sentences contain superfluous clauses, which I sometimes find grating. That said, I do enjoy some of his books and if you're an empathetic person you likely will too. My top three are, in this order, Bleak House, David Copperfield, and The Pickwick Papers.
>>
I read ALL (100 %) of Nicholas Nickleby. I gave up half way but restarted so I could definitively talk about how much I disliked it. I posted small excerpts on here and lit laughed at the writing but is overall too soody to admit he is shit
>>
>>9729493
How is Little Dorrit? My mother has a copy of it she has never read so I might claim it for myself.
>>
>>9729493

which is dickens' worst novel?
>>
Dickens is ideologically inconsistent, overly sentimental, overlong, repetetive and sometimes tedious.

He's also very funny, socially conscious and one of the best writers in the English language
>>
>>9729493
http://orwell.ru/library/reviews/dickens/english/e_chd
This is the ultimate Dickens redpill.
>>
> people still fall for the dickens was paid by the word meme
>>
>>9730156
Well, he was paid by installment. Is it really that big of a leap to speculate that he may have potentially fleshed them out a bit so he ultimately ended up with an additional installment or two?
>>
>>9729493
Thank you all. What about Great Expectations? I read a school version on my first high school year. It was a simplified and very short version for non-English speakers
>>
>>9730137
sorry kid I don't into ressentiment
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.