[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anthropology, Psychology, or Sociology

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 6802303_orig.png (113KB, 998x766px) Image search: [Google]
6802303_orig.png
113KB, 998x766px
Recommend some /lit/ books on the topics of anthropology, psychology, or sociology.
>>
File: 1497463514622-an.jpg (63KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
1497463514622-an.jpg
63KB, 800x599px
>>
>>9728520
The Interpretation of Cultures - Clifford Geertz
Atlas of World History - Patrick O'Brien
The Ritual Process - Victor Turner
The Origins of Consciousness - Julian Jaynes
Thinking, Fast and Slow - Daniel Kahneman
How The Mind Works by Steven Pinker
>>
Any other suggestions /lit/? Or is this all you have?
>>
Stupid nigger I gave you some good suggestions and this is what you give me? Not a single bit of appreciation? Fuck you okay I'll never do this again.
>>
File: Stimulating Reads.png (368KB, 614x376px) Image search: [Google]
Stimulating Reads.png
368KB, 614x376px
>>9731497
Try these, OP.
>>
>>9732692
Hasn't Skinner basically been BTFO'd?
>>
>>9732737
No. He's been shown to ve inadequate to explain all of human behavior, but not wrong about some things or useless. Besides Kahneman mentioned above all these books are outdated, desu. The disciplines you mentioned are vast wiyh many sub-disciplines. What exactly are you looking to study? Also, why cant you use google like a normal person and not beg to have things spoonfed to you?
>>
>>9732737
Skinner's work hasn't been refuted. Perhaps some of the most solid psychological work still around. The problem is that he couldn't explain all of human activity through learned behavior.

>>9734036
Only Steven Pinker's book, Skinner's book, and Pavlov's book is outdated. The rest can't really be "outdated" and are classics in their respective fields.
>>
>>9728520
>anthropology
Specify what you are interested in. Cognitive anthropology, biological anthropology or something else?
>psychology
What are you interested in? Attraction? Politics? Personality? Cognitive biases? Psychopathology?
>sociology
I had a great book when I studied a certain course, but have to say overall sociology is a mess in the sense that it isn't scientific enough for me.
>>
>>9731497
Have you read all that already? Get to ii. Come back and make another thread when you can share a few of your insightful considerations about each, thus stirring some quality conversation.
>>
You could try: Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst if you don't mind biology in your psychology
>>
>>9734052
How is Pinker outdated? Where can I read more?
>>
>>9734205
I am interested in this as well
I did pick up that Daniel Kahneman's book had some studies that could not be replicated and thus there is some doubt over some of it

Besides that, I would suggest "the enigma of reason" for some critique of it and new ideas
>>
>>9731746
Thank you daddy ;)
>>
>>9731497
I keep recommending Denial of Death by Ernest Becker. Apparently this book is reddit-tier or something because i've ever seen anyone acknowledge its value.
>>
>>9735758
Why is it that tier?
>>
>>9728520
"Weaponizing Anthropology - The Social Sciences in Service of the Militarized State" by David Price is worth a read, I am currently. Its broadly covers the Pentagon and CIAs incursions onto university campuses in the US and the ethical dilemmas this imposes upon anthropologists, and the commandeering of the social sciences for use by the military (HUMINT) for the benefit of empire.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.