/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

christian medieval european myths

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 220px-Rolandfealty[1].jpg (23KB, 220x244px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Rolandfealty[1].jpg
23KB, 220x244px
I'm interested in reading christian medieval european heroic myths such as the song of roland. I'm not interested in an academic dissection of them, just the myths themselves. when i look up for example the song of roland, the only books i can find are either just the very short tale itself, or an approach to it from an academic viewpoint. if you know of a good print collection of many of these types of tales i would like to read it
>>
The mistake that a lot of people make when discussing these subjects is to think of these things as 'books.' There may have been written versions of these things but they were multi-sensory experiences that weren't confined to the written word. In principle it's the same as reading Homer and ignoring the fact that Homer was performed, not merely read aloud. It's like wanting to just read the book for a musical when you could go and see a performance or better yet perform in it. Not only that but a lot of these epics are really only so important because of their impact on an archaic culture speaking an archaic language. If you want to 'read' them then you'll need to either settle for layers upon layers of interpretation or acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to decipher surviving texts from the period (to which I cannot point you so don't bother asking me). It's not hard to find Old English versions of Beowulf online. It's not like these are copyrighted works. Again, you're having trouble because you're making a category mistake. You don't 'read' a myth, you experience it with your five senses and your nervous system.
>>
>>9727975
wanker
>>
>>9727975
twat
>>
File: 1419010947981.jpg (21KB, 173x226px) Image search: [Google]
1419010947981.jpg
21KB, 173x226px
>>9727987
>>9728032
Am I wrong, you pansies? OP is fucking gay.
>>
>>9728044
i agree the oral tradition's important but i just want to read the stories m8
>>
>>9728052
This isn't about oral fucking tradition, this is about how what you want to read doesn't exist in the format that you want in any meaningful way, you faggot.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.