[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do the Buddhist and Buddhism-readers-scholars-practitio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Buddha.jpg (82KB, 500x401px) Image search: [Google]
Buddha.jpg
82KB, 500x401px
What do the Buddhist and Buddhism-readers-scholars-practitioners in /lit/ think about the Buddha manga, by Osamu Tezuka?

Despite all the liberties took with the original life of the Buddha, despite all the deviations and artistic inventions, I myself have a great respect for this work.

What I like in it above all else is this:

>The portrait of Buddha as having doubts and insecurities even AFTER the enlightenment. The constant demonstration of Buddha as a human being, susceptive – of course, much less susceptive than other people - to the temptations and dangers of bad emotions and feelings, even after he had achieve great degrees of wisdom. (This doesn’t seem to be all invention, for I read in one book that there is an description of Buddha needing to leave his community for a while to cool off his head, alone*)

>The demonstration of how wild, unjust, cruel and violent was the time and the place where the Buddha lived, how unequal was society in his time and how strong one should be to make his/her peace with such a world. It helps those of us who cannot ignore the harsh realities that still boil in every corner of the planet.

>The emphasis on Buddha trying his best to make the politicians of the time (kings and princes) act with reason, compassion and kindness. In other words: the portrayal of Buddha as someone actually engaged in social and political matters of the day, and not simply a wise recluse (and here one should note that Tezuka was not being unfaithful to the real man, for the Buddha actually had discussions and debates with the monarchs of his time and tried his best to make them act properly, although he failed many times in those endeavors).

*I read this in Stephen Bachelor’s “Confessions of a Buddhist Atheist”, where he writes:

“I am living hemmed in by monks and nuns,” thought Siddhattha Gotama to himself one day in the Ghosita Monastery near Kosambi, “by kings and ministers, by sectarian teachers and their followers, and I live in discomfort and not at ease. Suppose I were to live alone, secluded from the crowd?” So after returning from his alms-round, he tidied his hut, took his bowl and robe, and, without informing anyone, set off unaccompanied for Parileyyaka, where he stayed alone in a forest beneath a sal tree. Even the Buddha, it would appear, was oppressed by the organization he had created to uphold and spread his teaching.

The Buddha’s words come from the Naga Sutta: The Bull Elephant
>>
>>9726446

>The Buddha’s words come from the Naga Sutta: The Bull Elephant

The first paragraphs of the Naga Sutta:

I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Kosambī at Kosita's monastery. And on that occasion the Blessed One lived hemmed in with monks, nuns, male & female lay followers, kings, royal ministers, sectarians, & their disciples. Hemmed in, he lived unpleasantly and not in ease. The thought occurred to him: "I now live hemmed in by monks, nuns, male & female lay followers, kings, royal ministers, sectarians, & their disciples. Hemmed in, I live unpleasantly and not in ease. What if I were to live alone, apart from the crowd?"

So, early in the morning, the Blessed One adjusted his under robe and — carrying his bowl & robes — went into Kosambī for alms. Then, having gone for alms in Kosambī, after the meal, returning from his alms round, he set his own lodgings in order and, carrying his bowl & robes, without telling his attendant, without informing the community of monks — alone & without a companion — left on a wandering tour toward Palileyyaka. After wandering by stages, he reached Palileyyaka. There he stayed in Palileyyaka in the protected forest grove at the root of the auspicious sal tree.
>>
>>9726446
I liked it, especially the scene where naradatta enters samsara after bein' a hermit for his entire life
>>
>>9726516
>enters samsara

I am not an expert but don’t you mean “enters nirvana”?
>>
>>9726604
yeah
>>
Bump for Buddhism thread
>>
A great comic by one of the masters of the medium, no doubt. A true epic in every sense of the word.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.