[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who are the most forgotten literally figures of your country /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 13

File: MCN_RETRATO_FUMANDO-720x1024[1].jpg (142KB, 720x1024px) Image search: [Google]
MCN_RETRATO_FUMANDO-720x1024[1].jpg
142KB, 720x1024px
Who are the most forgotten literally figures of your country /lit/?
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 300x414px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 300x414px
(well, forgotten only on this pretentious and pathetic shithole)
>>
>>9722217
Yeah, it's surprising the amount of italicucks in this place. (or maybe it's a samefag that post over and over and over)

Currently I'm not interested in his fiction but Petrolio seems pretty dope.
>>
>>9722210
John Dos Passos
>>
Francis Stuart, he was married to Iseult Gonne. Ignored and very comfortable for many because of his collaboration other the Nazis
>>
>>9722232
>it's surprising the amount of italicucks
How do you tell them apart? I don't think there are many Italians here, to be honest. If so, there would be many more threads about authors you seem to mindlessly disregard.
>>
>>9722210
Mavis gallant from Canada
>>
>>9722249
Even >5 italian users are way above the average italian users quota on an online platform, it might be low for other country, but it isn't for Italy.

Pasolini isn't much discussed here because his works are overshadowed by Salò, and by his movies in general. (Those are quite bad if compared with his poetry or with his non-fiction works)
>>
idk we forgot them
>>
>>9722278
>Even >5 italian users are way above the average italian users quota on an online platform, it might be low for other country, but it isn't for Italy.
Yeah, you proved my point.

>poetry and non-fiction works are the best things he did
Exactly, that's why it's a shame he's never mentioned on /lit/. He truly predicted every aspect of our contemporary society. If he's not worth reading, I guess people on here can't see beyond their little handful of memes.
>>
File: Stefan_Zweig.png (36KB, 216x192px) Image search: [Google]
Stefan_Zweig.png
36KB, 216x192px
>>9722210
>>9722210
This guy
my sister studies germanistics/literature and has never heard of him..baka
he wrote some dank shit
>>
>>9722321
i was told his biography about Fouché is top notch
>>
>>9722210
Manuel Machado.
His brother cucked him hard.
>>
Thomas Wolfe and John Hawkes don't get the love they should.
>>
>>9722321

He's pretty well known among a certain set here because he's been picked up by the NYRB and Wes Anderson name checks him.
>>
>>9722278
Is his writing actually that much better than his films?

I thought his trilogy of life was great
>>
File: Pablo Palacio.jpg (19KB, 300x362px) Image search: [Google]
Pablo Palacio.jpg
19KB, 300x362px
>>9722210
This beatiful man, who went by the name of Pablo Palacios.
He was Julio Cortázar, Borges or anyone of the magical realism movement before any of them got published. All of that before the age of 31.
He's been getting praise just recently, because in his times, because of his mental illness (which led hm to his death), his peers dismissed his literature as the works of a madman, as the ecuadorian writers of the time were all social realists.
If you find his Complete Works (around 400 pages long), buy it, you won't regret it.
>>9722378
I really liked Wolfe's Look Homward Angel. I think the recent film about him gave some attention to his works (it made me read his first novel).
I haven't read Hawkes but i've heard he's great
>>
HL Mencken. Not totally forgotten but got the Ernst junger treatment (purposeful neglect). Legendary bantz, shame he wasn't alive for the internet.
>>
>>9722599
There's a quote from in on the wall of the Baltimore Sun lobby. Here we have to take what we can get in terms of literary heroes.
>>
>>9722514
I've just pirated him. Death by kicking is pretty good.
>>
>>9722514
>Death by kicking
Is he better than kafka?
>>
>>9722321
I really like this guy,

There are a couple of books out atm of his short historical vignettes and they are great.
>>
>>9722210
there are so many it doesn't worth posting
t. brazilian
>>
>>9722210
Bob Shaw - one of the greatest Sci-fi writers on the second half of the 29th century, pisses all over Phil K Dick, largely unknown in his home country or anywhere outside of the fandom community, never been adapted for TV or Film.
>>
>>9722748
that is some brazilian logic there
>>
>>9722872
this
>>
>>9722687
where did you get it? would you mind uploading it?
>>
Frank Norris
>>
>>9722687
Indeed. It's one of his better short stories. Did you pirate his complete works or only that collection?. It was easier for me to find the former than the latter. In what language are you reading it?
>>9722727
I like both a lot but Kafka's better. I'm not patriotic enough to say Palacio's better. But who knows? Palacio died too young, and stopped writing at the age of 31. Most writers didn't write anything good before that age. It saddens me that many famous ecuadorian writers died too young
>>
>>9722240
That's a good one, and a shame. I'd add Richard Henry Dana.
>>
>>9722599
Just read his In Defense of Women yesterday!
>>
File: lotr.jpg (325KB, 1024x1326px) Image search: [Google]
lotr.jpg
325KB, 1024x1326px
i love this book.
There is love but no sex, only that kind of love that was born in the medieval age, with the chivaric romance without soiling it whit human passions and cheating. It has heroes but they haven't that finest phsicological profile, they are archetype. I love the knowledge that talkien has of the human being and you know while reading that you are reading the encyclopedia of the human race.
please, share your knowledge about this book, i will be more than happy to discover some kind of stuff that was hidden to my eyes
i am currently reading it for the 3d time in 7 years
>>
File: IMG_6564.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6564.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
Max Aub - He had to leave Spain and was unable to get most of his books published in Spain until Franco' death, only three years after his. Aub wrote a monumental 6-novel cycle on the Civil War, probably the best work of fiction on the subject, over the course of 30 years. "El laberinto mágico" (only the first volume has been translated to English) has been out of print for years, and only now it is being reprinted (vol. 1 came out last month). Do yourself a favour and read him, he has everything: narrative techniques, plot, prose, you name it. A fucking genious. His poetry and plays are also top notch.
>>
File: francisstuart.jpg (10KB, 280x198px) Image search: [Google]
francisstuart.jpg
10KB, 280x198px
>>9722248
Hello Paddy. Yes, Francis Stuart wrote one great book, Black List, Section H, the rest is mostly negligible mostly. But he also translated the memoirs of the French SS Charlemagne Division volunteer, Christian de La Maziere, as Ashes of Honour (there was another edition with a different title too.)
There was some minor scandal some years ago in Ireland on his receiving a literary award, by a potato-munching proto-SJW woman whose husband as minister allowed police torture, among other things, the irony.

Stuart never apologised, never backed down, and that is to his lasting credit.
>>
File: J P Jacobsen.jpg (17KB, 343x360px) Image search: [Google]
J P Jacobsen.jpg
17KB, 343x360px
J. P. Jacobsen. Didn't write much, but wrote some good stuff like "Niels Lyhne".
>>
>>9723072
Came here to post this. McTeague is the Great American Novel.
>>
>>
>>9722210
Clarence Cooper Jr. was an incredibly skilled prose stylist who wrote novels about hustlers, pimps and drug addicts in a way that mixed modernist aesthetics and pulp intensity. I recommend The Farm.
>>
File: Wyndham_Lewis_1917.jpg (7KB, 170x231px) Image search: [Google]
Wyndham_Lewis_1917.jpg
7KB, 170x231px
Wyndham Lewis
>>
Eric Hoffer

Anti-intellectual, anti-academic, anti-collectivist philosopher
>>
Great thread bros. don't let it die, maybe we get more gems
>>
Clarence Major. An avant garde writer that mixes the blues tradition with modernist techniques unlike Ralph Ellison but closer to Gertrude Stein and the surrealist. I recommend Reflex and Bone Structure it is short, challenging and very disturbing.
>>
File: clarence_major.jpg (14KB, 200x240px) Image search: [Google]
clarence_major.jpg
14KB, 200x240px
>>9727168
>>
>>9722944
>this
is not tumblr.
Go away.
>>
>>9725814
Dude! The Octopus!
>>
>>9722217
Everyone knows him as a filmmaker more than a novelist, just because 120 days is like babby's first edgy movie (no implying it's bad just that it's one of the first transgressive films that you hear about)
>>
>>9722240
I'd also add Alexander Theroux to that list
>>
>>9726663
The True Believer was brilliant. I should read more of his work.
>>
>>9722210

Abigael Bohórquez, Francisco Tario, the Estridentismo movement... :(
>>
>>9722338
It is, really do seek it out.
His bio on Marie Antoinette is also dank.
>>
>>9727655
>Estridentismo
¡Que viva el mole de guajolote!
>>
>>9725789

Only known nowadays through Rilke, I think.
>>
>>9722382
this
>>
>>9722321
>>9727866
I don't know, I've always seen his stuff everywhere
>>
File: booth.png (131KB, 481x273px) Image search: [Google]
booth.png
131KB, 481x273px
Booth Tarkington. One of the most popular novelists in the nation during his lifetime (1869-1946). Wrote The Magnificent Ambersons, which was turned into a film by Orson Welles, and won the Pulitzer twice (only man to do so other than Faulkner and Updike). Almost completely forgotten by history at this point. Indianapolis native.
>>
>>9722321
wes anderson made a movie inspired by him
>>
>>9722210
I don't know
>>
>>9722210
me and my diary desu
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.