[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You have ten seconds to explain why someone should read this book

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Crimeandpunishmentcover.png (167KB, 255x391px) Image search: [Google]
Crimeandpunishmentcover.png
167KB, 255x391px
You have ten seconds to explain why someone should read this book
>>
It's shit
>>
I don't owe you anything, fuck off.
>>
It'll put you off murdering old ladies to avoid paying the rent.
>>
The ending is beautiful
>>
>>9719210
It's good written, just way too bloated. I'd say everyone should read at least one book from Freddy, which doesn't really matter.
>>
>>9719491
The ending is trash and was obviously written to avoid censure. For fuck's sake, Dostoevsky uses the trope of the reformed whore as an element of satirization against Chernyshevsky in the second half of Notes From Underground.

To say nothing of Dosto's own dubious religious beliefs, the end of C&P is a blatant cop-out.
>>
File: p1.jpg (76KB, 800x686px) Image search: [Google]
p1.jpg
76KB, 800x686px
>>9719210

Ultimately, you should just read books for your own enjoyment.

There was a lot of stuff I enjoyed about it. One thing was that there was this elaborate cat-and-mouse mental game between Raskolnikov and the police inspector Porfiry. Dostoevsky did an amazing job of setting up these situations and conversations that were an interesting mix of body language, paranoia, shifting motives, verbal jousts, peoples egos confronting each other and also philosophical/theological discussions. There was a lot of reactionary social commentary as well if that's your thing; it can be interesting to get a sense of the authors values and views.

Nietzsche said in 1887 that Dostoevsky was "the only psychologist from whom I have anything to learn."
>>
because you are a useless shit and have literally nothing better to spend your time on so why not read it
>>
I liked it because when I read it I was like "Holy shit, this is just like Death Note" but better.
>>
because Grand Inquisitor is Best Inquisitor
>>
>>9719683
Wrong book faggot
The Bros is where that chapter is
>>
>>9719682
I made the same comparison, but thank you, I feel less inferior now considering the fact that I read the book first and then watched the anime.
>>
>>9719210

Dostoevsky's ability to write convincing, multifaceted characters is nigh on inimitable
>>
>>9719210
you really shouldn't
>>
File: movie[1].jpg (163KB, 716x537px) Image search: [Google]
movie[1].jpg
163KB, 716x537px
>>9719210
It's all about:

1) the conversations between Raskolnikov and the detective and

2) what's going through Raskolnikov's mind, how he rationalises what he's doing

I think it was the first acclaimed Columbo-style detective story. Like the antithesis of an Agatha Christie novel. You know from the beginning who did it, the fascination comes from seeing Porfiry slowly tighten the noose.

You almost think Raskolnikov has dealt with the situation after a questioning session from Porfiry, the detective's about to leave, and then there's the infamous "just one more thing".

It's awesome.
>>
>>9719888
Actually, according to Wikipedia, the creators of the TV series based the character Columbo on Porfiry from Crime & Punishment. So there you go.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.