[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good and worthwhile commentaries on the Iliad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 410DtOetzJL._SY346_.jpg (12KB, 230x346px) Image search: [Google]
410DtOetzJL._SY346_.jpg
12KB, 230x346px
Are there any good and worthwhile commentaries on the Iliad? I really enjoyed the introductory essay to Fagles' translation by Bernard Knox, and I'd love more like that, but it doesn't seem he's written any other commentaries.

Only one I could find is Kirk's commentary, but as far as I can tell it's made more for academics and people who've read it in the original Greek.
>>
>>9719205
the intro to the penguin one had references to like 30 but i only really got curious about 2 or 3 and then never really got around to tracking them down
>>
You're looking for Willcock's companion.
>>
>>9719205
We know nothing of what literature preceded it and barely anything of the culture of the time.
In other words, what are you expecting from a commentary of it?
>>
There are thousands of essays, not sure about books. Although, judging by the fame of the Iliad and the length of that fame I'm sure there are many.
>>
>>9719205
Simone Weil's essay.
>>
>>9722092
Her essay is rather biased though. She talks very little of the glory of war, even though that's a large part of the book.
>>
Achilles and Hector: Homeric Hero by Seth Benardete is a great investigation of the great heroes of the poem.
There is also a book called The Rise of the Greek Epic by Gilbery Murray, this is more along the lines of a study of Homer himself and the bridge between the heroic bronze age and archaic greece. It is not exclusively a commentary on the Iliad, but I enjoyed reading it.
>>
>>9723647
I'm looking more for something along the lines of commentaries on the theme and poetic structure, rather than a historical commentary.
>>
>>9723148
Probably because she actually fought in one.
Granted her readings of the Bible are also often tinged with bias
>>
>>9723685
Yes, I know the context of when she wrote it. And sure, her interpretation is fine, but rather shallow and one-sided.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.