[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the creation of science fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: einstein.jpg (755KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
einstein.jpg
755KB, 1920x1080px
a greater accomplishment than general relativity

because some of the ideas of science fiction are conceptually more complex than Einstein's theory of relativity
>>
>>9718818

Ironically enough, Einstein himself advocated for the simplicity (only insofar as things still made sense of course) of scientific ideas, so that we could more or less "get" nature instead of overanalyzing it unnecessarily. Einstein's theory manages to be even simpler than previous accomplishments of mechanics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian theories of dynamics.

In short, I don't think we ought to equate complexity of concept to greatness of accomplishment. I do think conceptual complexity has its place, but it should not be in science, much less in comparison to science. Apples and oranges, etc.
>>
>>9718818
Like for example?
>>
>>9718872
time travel in its self
>>
>>9718832
The epicycle model of the Solar system is more complex than the heliocentric one but is more simple conceptually.
Adding more elements to a model makes the model more complex for the sake of preserving the simplicity of the idea. In order to make the model simple you need a complex idea.
>>
>>9718908
How is that idea in itself complex? Can you give an example of a work of science fiction that presents a concept of time more complex than the one Einstein does?
>>
Didn't Einstein steal David Hilbert's work for General Relativity?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.