[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one here who hates to read but really wants to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 84287170.jpg (95KB, 900x888px) Image search: [Google]
84287170.jpg
95KB, 900x888px
Am I the only one here who hates to read but really wants to write? Like I'm not interested at all in consuming but I do want to produce for this story I wanna tell. It's weird and admittedly pretty stupid
>>
You read to gain experience: They give you a voice, influences to absorb, and nuances to adopt.

You can definitely become a writer without having read many books, but you can't expect your work to come out as "acceptable," according to most standards. Virtually everybody is already a writer, but the difference between a good one and one who does it out of necessity is night and day.

Think of it this way: It's like if a musician tried to create music without listening to music himself.
>>
>>9718372
Follow your intuition.

You're bound to get frustrated attempting to write and end up reading anyway. Doing things organically will show you exactly the problems you need to read about in order to solve.
>>
>>9718372
op is that a pic of u lmao !
>>
File: IMG_1913.jpg (54KB, 498x726px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1913.jpg
54KB, 498x726px
You aren't doing yourself any favors by not reading, but go ahead and attempt it and see how far you can go.
>>
>>9718372
Do you have problems getting into a book? Focusing? How often do you attempt and what do you do instead with your free time?

The reason I ask is because I feel the same way as you do, want to write, not so much read , but when I actually dig into the book I find it beautiful and the most fulfilling experience I've ever had. I just can't seem to get into it anymore.
>>
>>9718418
>>9718423
>>9718435
All sound points. As an illustrator I understand that taking inspiration from those who make the same stuff you do and better goes a long way to improve your own skills. It's not necessary, but it certainly helps

>>9718434
Thank God no, kek
>>
>>9718438
Yep I sadly do have problems getting into books. I know what my main issue is, that I'm too impatient: I want the informations that the text I'm reading has IMMIDIATELY and get actually kinda frustrated when I'm not given it right away, like when the author makes wordplays and such, fancies the text up which I perceive as just dancing around the actual message the author wants to convey, mere fat to the meat. I'm annoyed by texts that don't cut straight to the chase, I just brute skim through a-la ''just gimme the gist of it'' and not only with literary works (which I admit I stopped reading a looong time ago): I have this attitude with every piece of text that I stumble upon.

I might be blame-shovin' here but if I had to find a culprit that'd be school. Like, it made reading so fucking un-fun, that you have to sit through heaps of uninteresting garbage you don't give a single speck of shit about. And you have to be fast too and I think that's where my habit of brute-skimming's come from.
Now I'll be honest, I'm a lazy basement dweller whom allows himself to get too distracted by them vidya and such instead of doing more creative and constructive things (like drawing), but I've come to loathe the idea of having to sit down and actually read something and school certainly has something to do with it. And I keep skimming despite currently not having anything to do, no studying no working so why am I always in a hurry? Burnout? I used to read when I was in middle school. Not much but it was something, certainly more than what the average student does. Now I just hate doing it

Got carried away. To answer your questions, I mostly stay on the net and play vidya in my free time. Focusing is not a problem if what I'm reading interests me, the problem is that I can't find anything that does lol. I haven't attempted in reading a book in a year or two, my last attempt being Don Quijote. Maybe I should just accept the fact that books simply aren't for me instead of blaming school. I hate school
>>
>>9718372
Probably you just want the attention. Why don't you open a youtube channel?
>>
>>9718563
Sounds good. There aren't enough Let's Play/reaction channels around

But seriously, I do want attention with this work that I hope to finish someday (hahahahahaha)
>>
>>9718560
I was where you are once. The problem is though, that reading and writing go hand in hand. If you tried writing you'd find it like reading, you'd just stop after a while unsatisfied.

Everything is like this. You wouldn't jump into a huge strategy game if you had never even tried to the genre. You need practice to enjoy reading, and the joy of it comes from the process at later stages. Middle school is when things are new to you, all those sensations are entertaining. Now you need more, and so you must do more. Practice, you'll find that it's a habit more than a hobby. This is the true reason that many people don't do it. It's not about intelligence. It's about continiung. Just like lifting, the rewards come from consistency.

I'd ask you if you masturbate a lot. I feel like for me it kind of saps from my emotional availability and keeps me from enjoying the work fully.

The last novel I fell in love with was Stoner. It's not a meme book. Some people call it the lovely introduction to serious literature.
>>
>>9718560

>I want the informations that the text I'm reading has IMMIDIATELY and get actually kinda frustrated when I'm not given it right away

This is a side effect of excessive internet exposure. Likewise with video games, many are often based around instant gratification. You're a victim of corporations and internet sites trying to constantly grab your attention instantly and trying to hold it as long as possible because they profit from it.

>dancing around the actual message the author wants to convey

Some authors dance, others cut straight to the chase. Hemingway is the usual example for direct, minimalist writing. Perhaps try him.

> I mostly stay on the net and play vidya in my free time

It will be impossible to read as long as a computer is immediately available to you, the machines are simply too addictive and distracting. Read outside, at your favourite restaurant, or on transport.
>>
>>9718560
>>9718618
Our guy Harold Bloom said it best: It's the screen. As long as you're addicted to moving pictures of any kind, you won't ever find the patience to read. Just take your time, read as slowly as you can, ponder on it, and most importantly, picture what you read in great detail.
>>
>>9718372
>does anybody here want to share their idiotic ideas but not have to think?
>>
>>9718560
>Yep I sadly do have problems getting into books. I know what my main issue is, that I'm too impatient: I want the informations that the text I'm reading has IMMIDIA-
stopped reading here
get the fuck out and start over
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.