[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shortly before his death, Richard Rorty wrote a piece called

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: richard rorty.jpg (170KB, 450x292px) Image search: [Google]
richard rorty.jpg
170KB, 450x292px
Shortly before his death, Richard Rorty wrote a piece called "The Fire of Life," in which he meditates on his pancreatic cancer diagnosis and the comfort of poetry.

He concludes:

>I now wish that I had spent somewhat more of my life with verse. This is not because I fear having missed out on truths that are incapable of statement in prose. There are no such truths; there is nothing about death that Swinburne and Landor knew but Epicurus and Heidegger failed to grasp. Rather, it is because I would have lived more fully if I had been able to rattle off more old chestnuts—just as I would have if I had made more close friends. Cultures with richer vocabularies are more fully human—farther removed from the beasts—than those with poorer ones; individual men and women are more fully human when their memories are amply stocked with verses.

Why aren't you reading poetry, /lit/?
>>
i think you've just convinced me to read more, thanks rorty
>>
but i am
>>
>>9715440
>just as I would have if I had made more close friends

do u think anyone will say they wish they spend more time shitposting on 4chan? it's possible someone could i'm just asking
>>
>>9715467
no
>>
>>9715440
Is Rorty the Last Man?
>>
>>9715440
Why aren't you making more close friends?
>>
>>9716026
I'm doing both. Do you want to be my bff?
>>
>>9715467
I'm sure that if I live to be old, 4chan will come into my mind one day and I'll want to see it again. Unless the site gets killed long before then. Wouldn't you want to revisit this place when you're an old man, considering how much time you've spent here?
>>
>>9716061
I hope to eventually be a position where the idea of me spending hours on an Iroquois leather-working board is laughable.
>>
>>9715440
The only poetry that fills my needs is epic poetry. And some works are too hard to get into.
>>
>>9716079
And yet you're still here, right now? Things won't magically change. If anything you'll probably end up wishing you could go back to now and then keep doing what you do now i.e. continuing 4chan posting.
>>
>>9716086
So you're the epic weird guy, huh? Care to explain why?
>>
>>9715440
I'm tho
>>
I hate poetry, it's fucking nonsense for me (not saying it's bad)
>>
I don't understand poetry
>>
>>9717576
>>9717617
How is Shakespeare nonsense or difficult to understand?
>>
>>9716019
No, he achieved far too much to be the Last Man. The last man avoids striving and suffering, instead going down the path of least resistance.
>>
>>9716061
How long do you think we've got realistically till the site shuts down? It can't last forever
>>
>>9717869
One day
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.