[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone happen to know any good anthropology (text)books?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1498892569042.jpg (2MB, 3264x1842px) Image search: [Google]
1498892569042.jpg
2MB, 3264x1842px
Interested in:
- Cognitive anthropology
- Biological anthroplogy
- Rites of passage
Preferably something recent, will probably ask /his/ too and maybe even THAT site
>>
>>9714705
The Interpretation of Cultures - Clifford Geertz
The Ritual Process - Victor Turner
The Origins of Consciousness - Julian Jaynes
>>
also interested, especially books about early man
>>
>>9714713
I am thankful for your contribution
I'm thinking I should look if I can find what textbooks universities require students to read
>>
>>9714736
report back if you find something interesting
>>
The Chrysanthemum and the Sword - Ruth Benedict
>>
>>9714729
I recently found the book "The Complete World of Human Evolution" which seems to fit what you look for. Have not read it yet.
Other books you might be interested in "The Invaders", "Evolving God", but both are very specific (one about the role of dogs, the other about religion). And I've only read "Evolving God" and thought it was ok.
There was even a free book about the role of autism in human evolution which I found to be extremely speculative. I am open to that sort of thing but I thought the connection of autism and cave paintings odd and (the book) unconvincing.

As for more general anthropology I found the "secret of our success" enjoyable. I also read "mixed messages" which was a mixed bag but still worth the read.

I am looking forward to reading "The Tangled Wing" which is highly praised and is about biological anthropology.

For cognitive anthropology I found Terrence Deacon but heard that he is notoriously difficult to read.

I also have some interest in the environment and anthropology and have read "The Biggest Estate on Earth" and 1491 and 1493. As well as a book in my native language about cultural perceptions towards nature. I intent on reading "How Forests Think".
>>9714751
I will but I am unsure when I will do that. For now the above will do.

When have done the search I will be sure to make a thread about it, but how would you find it?
>>
>>9714844
probably won't but thanks anyway, lots to read in the meantime
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.