[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I give myself a university level education in philosophy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: OItnWGv.png (62KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
OItnWGv.png
62KB, 300x200px
I've read an anthology of the works of Nietzsche, David Humes Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion and have been a huge edgelord for my whole life.

Everything about philosophy intrigues me and I want to start reading up on literally everything that would be covered in the curriculum of a decent university.
>>
>>9713589
>How do I give myself a university level education in philosophy?
take a philosophy course.
moving on...
>>
>>9713589
the biggest thing is just letting go dude

force anything and you'll never get that much
>>
>>9713626
but I can't. So I will rephrase this:

Where can I find a good list of all of the material I should cover as I self-study?
>>
>>9713657
literally google stuff like "introduction to philosophy syllabus" and see what's on there
>>
everything that I find seems to not be in-depth enough and the reddit list kind of shite.
>>
>>9713722
message someone who studies philosophy and ask for their curriculum
>>
>Tfw about to start studying philosophy at uni
Feels good
>>
>>9713743
I'm going to study philology my mane
>>
>>9713743
Its good shit desu. Although first year students are always arrogant as fuck and think they know everything.
>>
>>9713589
https://youtube.com/user/gbisadler
>>
>>9713589
Start with the Greeks Faggot
>>
>>9713657
Why not? Do you not have access to the Open University?
>>
>>9714154

have you ever taken anything on there? Im thinking about starting a mathematics degree there in october
>>
>>9713743
Good luck with learning critical theory and Marxist garbage and finding no meaningful job
>>
File: 1497237614397.png (119KB, 399x320px) Image search: [Google]
1497237614397.png
119KB, 399x320px
There's no right way to get into philosophy other than picking an angle that appeals to you, delving into it and then looking at related stuff that comes up. Check out some critical commentary on Nietzsche or something like Foucault that follows on from him, or maybe pick an aspect of Hume you liked and look up what subsequent writers had to say, like Kant or Popper.

Just try something you like the sound of and see where it takes you with an open mind! That said, avoid any contemporary "pop philosophy" like Alain de Botton, it's brain rot that will do nothing but inflate your self importance.
>>
Basically, there's no value in trying to be a philosophy "generalist"; just look for answers to questions you have or read whatever sounds interesting.

If you want to look at something that raises a lot of good questions to follow up on, try some essays by Montaigne.
>>
>>9713657
MIT gives all the materials and reading lists for some of its old classes. Check it out.
>>
>>9714301
I'm probably going to take philosophy into law. You sound buttblasted.
>>
>>9713743
lmao, savor that feeling because it's gonna be the last time
>>
>>9714667
Expand.
>>
>>9714657

>into law

see his 'no meaningful job'
>>
>>9713657
Look up the curriculum for for a philosophy degree at a few schools, and then find the syllabi for those classes.

That being said, the materials are only a portion of the education, and working with experts the field is helps a great deal with understanding the material.
>>9713743
>tfw I'll never know that feel
>>
Just read 'em all:

Presocratics, Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Aquinas, Machiavelli, Bacon, Descartes, Pascal, Hobbes, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Kant, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Kierkegaard, Feuerbach, Marx, Nietzsche, Bergson, Freud, Husserl, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Arendt, Levi-Strauss, Lacan, Barthes, Althusser, Foucault, Derrida, Deleuze, Bourdieu, Sloterdijk, Zizek, Latour, Meillassoux, Dugin.
>>
>>9714964
>sending him down the rabbit hole of continental philosophy.
>>
you can be better than a university level graduate just by reading wikipedia, lurking on philosophy forums and watching on youtube some university courses online

That's what I did anyway. I met 4 people who actually studied philosophy and it was atrocious. I struck up discussions with them and I was clear that I knew more about philosophy than them. Like one was surprised that I don't eat meat and she never heard of Peter Singer. Another didn't know anything about Wittgenstein and said they liked Sam Harris.

This might be selection bias thou since all of them were working menial jobs that had nothing to do with philosophy so maybe I just met the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>9714999
I'm in a philosophy PhD program at an Ivy League school and even my peers are like this. They'll have heard of stuff but won't have read anything except what concerns their hyperspecializations and some odds and ends. I try to be better rounded.

Now, undergrad on the other hand: my peers were all absolute morons who never read any of the readings and just said whatever bullshit came into their heads. You can get a philosophy BA without knowing anything.
>>
>>9714999
And where are you from? In my country there are a whole bunch of same retards that are being taught by 90-yrs communists.
>>
>>9714894
Alright, oh wise one. What, according to you, is a "meaningful job"?
>>
>>9714858
Unless you're at Harvard getting your phd a philosophy degree is nearly worthless. You can teach yourself.
>>
>>9715028
>You can get a philosophy BA without knowing anything.

This rings true. I took a philosophy course once and was genuinely afraid of failing because I didn't understand anything but got an A because whatever came off the top of my head was worthy.
>>
>>9715411
But I don't necessarily want to pursue a philosophy PhD at my current university. If I want to pursue philosophy past a BA, I'll definitely attend a better university. If not, I'll go to law school.
>>
>>9713589
The Harvard Classics series was literally designed to do just that.
>>
>>9715530

yeah and its impossible to get in print.
>>
>>9713589
It depends.
American university or real university?
>>
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/philosophy-ba-hons-v500/#course-structure
>>
>>9715583
I see them at most libraries
>>
>>9713589
ive been doing this exactly for a bit more than a year, here's my reading list of western canon essentials so far, which will get you ready to tackle modern philosophy.

The Presocratics (espec Thales, Protagoras, Parmenides, Heraclitus, Empedocles)
Plato (Republic, Phaedo, Crito at the very least)
Aristotle (Organon, Poetics, Politics, Physics, Metaphysics)
Diogenes the cynic
Epictetus
Epicurus
Cicero
Marcus Aurelius
Seneca
Plotinus
Pseudo-Dionysius
St Anselm
Aquinas
Erasmus
Descartes
Spinoza
Leibniz
Hume
Kant
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEtxsMx4qsoitFwjBdLU_gA

YouTube/reading
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.