[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 15

File: Start_with_the_greeks.jpg (1MB, 3672x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Start_with_the_greeks.jpg
1MB, 3672x3024px
Follwing pic related, but my library only had the Fitzgerald translation of Illiad and Oddyssey, am I fucked or is this ok? Any tips to get the most out of it?
>>
>>9713072
Also, I couldn't find a pdf/epub of Fagles, if anyone can provide that, I'd appreciate it!

Awhile ago a kind anon linked me an archived post about ebook resources organized by English, French, etc etc and it had tons of useful links, but alas I forgot to bookmark them. If anyone knows about this, please do share :-)
>>
which translation of mein kampf is the most accurate, ie closest to the original, also where can it be found
>>
>>9713093
just learn german nigga
>>
Fitzgerald is pretty sweet. I read him last go around.
>>
>>9713102
>learns german to read a book
>the language dies withing 2 decades
>becomes irrelevant
>mein kampf is banned world-wide
>tfw spent a long time to learn a dead language to read a dead book about a dead people
>>
Elizabeth Taylor is playing Cleopatra in Cleopatra. Was the early part of the movie in which Caesar was in Egypt, and then Cleo brought to Rome, based on any written literature or historical account? If so, which?
>>
>>9713072
wich one of those books talk about the castration of uranus?
>>
what are the best (hopefully free) resources to learn a new language?
>>
>>9713156
FSI courses. Begin with Duolingo if FSI is too dense for you. Adopt vocabulary from a frequency list. When you have a good command of reading and understanding the language you may begin to read or view actual material and use a dictionary.

If your goal is to write and speak with natives it would be well to purchase a graded course.
>>
>>9713072
I think Fitzgerald reads smoother than Fagles, would recommend.
Just read a sample on Amazon or something, and compare yourself.
>>
which version of crime and punishment do i buy
>>
E-reader/e-book, whatever theyre called or a general tablet for reading?
>>
>>9713155
Hesiod's Theogony. Also Hamilton.
>>
>>9713239
thanks buddy, I'm gonna give it a read.
>>
Which version of Aurelius' Meditations should I read, and why?
>>
>>9713235
E-reader
>>
what's kants and nietzche's magnum opus'?
>>
>>9713204
Pevear & Volokhonsky. Ignore the memesters, their Dosto translations are superb and ditch the traditional practice of "improving" the writing to conform to Western ideas of erudite literature. Its the rawest Dosto you're going to get outside of the original Russian.
>>
File: 1498187316299.jpg (57KB, 750x1081px) Image search: [Google]
1498187316299.jpg
57KB, 750x1081px
Thank you for that pic op
>>
Good books from post-Roman/medieval period please? Filling the gap before The Prince and The Divine Comedy (even though they count as medieval).
>>
>>9714515
The Canterbury Tales
Arthurian legends. Probably need a good chart to breakdown exactly what to read, but Le Morte D'Arthur is a good, somewhat revisionist work.
Gawain and the Green Knight is more contemporary
Beowulf, Heaney translation. Indispensable.
Song of Roland and other Chansons de Geste
>>
New to Neitzche and Ayn Rand. Can I jump right in with Thus spoke Zathuratha and Atlas Shrugged, respectively?
>>
>>9714650
No and Yes. TSZ is the culmination of Nietzsche's work, read everything else first.
Rand, you can jump in anywhere. Its all overindulgent trite, but by all means form your own opinion.
>>
>>9714666
I don't know whether I should be taking advice from trips like these...

But thanks! I'm gonna search around for a Nietzche starter pack/flow chart, but if you feel like listing out what I should do instead, that'd be cooler.
>>
>>9714485
>p and v
Kys faggot.
>>
>>9714742
Dude nice argument, I too love intellectually editorialized versions of carefully composed texts made of deliberately subversive word and language choices!
>>
>>9713500

I am reading Gergory Hays, it is a bit modern for my taste but very easy to get through and really comes across as a bloke putting down his thoughts and ideas.
>>
>>9714854
I heard statements similar to yours, but was unsure if Hays or older (60's or so) translations might be more relatable or impactful. I'll take a look at Hays since it appears to have been received well in most online forums.

Thank you.
>>
What do you call words within a word? Or a word that means something different once you remove the initial letter?

Something like say,Clover, remove the C and it becomes Lover. Sorry If I'm being a brainlet
>>
>>9713072
Posted this in the last sffg just before it 404'd

Am I a faggot for legitimately enjoying the Inheritamce Series by Paoloni?
>>
Other than the KJV Bible which are worth reading. Then beyond that is there much to be gained reading the less known ones?
>>
>>9715280
wordception
>>
>>9713093
I doesn't matter since the prose is cringe worthy bad even in german so you won't lose anything
>>
>>9715603
>Other than the KJV Bible which are worth reading. Then beyond that is there much to be gained reading the less known ones?
Most dumbest worded question here. I have no idea what you are even asking. Are you ESL?
>>
>>9715997
Let me have another go. I am sorry I didn't met your standards. I am studying. I only know about the KJV. Which other version are worth reading? Is there much to be gained from reading other version if you are already familiar with the KJV?

Is that better?
>>
>>9716046
That's better. KJV is hands down the best prose you will ever find in a bible. Though, it is pretty accurate, there is much debate on how accurate it is compared to recent translations. Also, some books were purposely left out, and considered Apocrypha, which you will find in Catholic bibles.
>>
how does one into Nietzche?
>>
>>9714472
Any specific brand or model in mind?
>>
wanna start with Pinecone but dont know if I should start with Gravity's Rainbow, Against the day or Mason and Dixon
>>
>>9716704
Thank you very much. I recently discovered the WEB, World English Bible, which has a 'smooth reading' or 'flat' version, formatted like a normal novel with a single a column and no verse or chapter numbers, making it easier to read cover to cover. Do you know if there are any 'flat' versions of the KJV?
>>
File: IMG_20170705_211848.jpg (2MB, 3036x2635px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170705_211848.jpg
2MB, 3036x2635px
What did Plato mean by this?
>>
>>9713072
Reading Fitzgerald's translations at the moment, he's very good. Continue, my main dude.
>>
>>9714479
>kants
The three Critiques:
Critique of Pure Reason, Critique of Practical Reason, Critique of Judgement.
Not just the CPR, all three. The three are his magnum opus.
>nietzche's magnum opus
The closest thing would be Thus Spoke Zarathustra, but Nietzsche is not a systematic philosopher, his whole corpus needs to be explored in chronological order, you don't get "all the Nietzsche" from TSZ.

>>9716046
>>9717776
Read the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

>>9717962
This is why we insist on getting you to read the Pre-Socratics in images like the one in OP.

Plato is heavily influenced by Pythagoreanism and their mystical theories of numbers and geometry.
>>
>>9714650
Start Nietzsche with The Birth Of Tragedy, it's short and neat, also a good introductory.
>>
Just a question.
In case one can read efficiently both a romance language and english, which of the two is better to read the iliad/odissey in?
>>
Any French literature that isn't depressing? I want to read something in French but I'm feeling somewhat happy for the first time in months and don't want to ruin it.
>>
>>9718504
Romance
>>
>>9713072
Fitzgerald is superior
>>
>>9715463
What did they answer? The correct answer is yes.
>>
Is there any chart to get into Aleister Crowley ?
>>
What is the best translation of Anselm's work? There's a Hackett and an Oxford World Classics on Amazon that both contain most of his work, are they good translations?
>>
Good Anna Karenina translation?
Good Notes from Underground translation?

Where to go after Tolstoy, Dosto and Gogol?
>>
>>9721169
I honestly don't have a clue but I will say that OWC usually produces quality stuff. Don't just take my word for it though
>>
>>9717776
>Do you know if there are any 'flat' versions of the KJV?
there is a translation called the New King James Version, which is essentially the same but with updated language. The New Oxford Bible is good if you want a strictly secular viewpoint but I don't recommend it.
The NASB is usually considered the most accurate bible translation, but is also criticized as being boring and difficult to read. The ESV is easier and more poetic but its less accurate and considered a "Protestant" bible. If you want a commentary, read Matthew Henry's commentary which is available for free on biblehub.com and for 2 bucks on e reader form
>>
Can someone please suggest a interesting (but accurate) book of historical short stories? Like telling a summary of the life of Alexander the Great and then moves on to Genghis Khan etc. It doesn't have to be about specific people, it can be summaries of events, cultures or whatever.
>>
Anyone have a chart or some recommendations for Psychology? Where to start?
>>
>>9718010
>Read the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

>>9721194
>New King James Version
>NASB

Thank you I will have a look at all three.

Are there any versions of the bible that contain "controversial" translations or interpretations?
>>
May I have a link to the /lit/ discord?
>>
>>9713235
Tablet unless you plan to read outside. They are cheaper and bigger. 10.1 inch display with anti-glare screen protection and some form of blue light reduction like Flux or twilight is better than a shifty phone sized e-ink device.
>>
>>9713132
Plutarch's Life of Caesar and Cassius Dio's Roman History are two which mention this, I think.
>>
Do you guys read fiction or non-fiction before going sleep? I'm no Tim Ferriss guy, but he recommends fiction. I've always struggled to find good fiction books. Where to start?
>>
I didn't see the title of the thread at first and thought the joke was that other people were asking equally dumb questions but no one replied to OP.
>>
>>9714522
>The Canterbury Tales
>before The Comedy

>>9713235
I don't use either but it's common knowledge that you should get a real e-reader. Much better for your eyes.

>>9716704
Plenty of KJV editions keep the Apocrypha.

>>9715463
You are a faggot for using sffg in the first place but you should legit kill yourself if you like Paolini.
>>
>>9713072
Is op a fagot?
>>
>>9721887
>Are there any versions of the bible that contain "controversial" translations or interpretations?
there are translations that are considered "liberal". the nrsv and the msg are the most popular ones. they are terribly inaccurate though
http://www.bible-researcher.com
this website was very helpful to me
>>
Do you really get more of out actually reading philosophical texts, than just papers/encyclopedias that summarize their main points and arguments? If philosophy is trying to establish things through logic, then isn't simply reading the propositions more or less enough? When I try to read most philosophical texts, it just bores me to tears, because it seems like they are just repeating statements over and over. I feel like a dumb philistine because of this. I get far more enjoyment from reading ABOUT Aristotle's views, for instance, than actually reading his works.
>>
>>9724043
you're right. brevity is the soul of wit and a lot of those dudes love the sound of their own voice.
>>
>>9724043
watch the exposés from conferences and book tours of the author. videos is better at communicating ideas. 1hour of video >>>>>>>>>> any book
>>
File: commie-girl.jpg (29KB, 326x500px) Image search: [Google]
commie-girl.jpg
29KB, 326x500px
What is the meme book that this girl is holding?
>>
>>9726417
https://web.archive.org/web/20061125230252/http://eng.nbp-info.ru/cat30/index.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Russia_(party)
>>
>>9713072
My brother stole a copy of Mythology by Edith Hamilton from his middle school library a long time ago. Now I feel like reading it
>>
I never read a book before. Where should I start?
>>
>>9729777

The Cat in the Hat
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
The Rainbow Fish
>>
>9729816
>On Saturday, he ate through one piece of chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone, one pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese, one slice of salami, one lollipop, one piece of cherry pie, one sausage, one cupcake, and one slice of watermelon. That night he had a stomach ache.

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 1494267888101.jpg (720KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494267888101.jpg
720KB, 1000x1000px
I feel like I dedicate very little time to literature (2h a day) and should expand on that, but I already have so many hobbies that it is very hard to keep doing all of them, I'm currently doing:
>Drawing
>Piano
>Anime/Manga
>Games
>Literature
>Philosophy/History/Theology
>German and Japanese

Literature for me is the most important of them, followed by Philosophy, Learning Idioms and Practicing the Piano. What is your opinion /lit/? Should I abandon my other hobbies and focus on the most important ones? Should I just dedicate less time to those secondary activities instead of abandoning them completely? Sometimes I feel like anime, games and drawing are a waste of time, but sometimes I feel they are quite nice. I'm so confused.

How many hobbies do you people have? And how do you organize your free time?
>>
>>9729853
Do what you think will be the most fulfilling in the long term. I think 2 hours a day with literature is considerable, especially if you work full time. I wouldn't abandon any activities you enjoy unless you regret doing them afterward. My hobbies mostly involve reading, cooking, and working out, but I'd like to work on an instrument again soon too. The only organization I do is try to read a bit every day and work on other hobbies enough so I don't feel like I'm slipping backward in progress.
>>
What are good resources to start writing?
>>
>>9729861
Yeah, but it's a little hard for me to evaluate which activities I would regret. Sometimes I feel like I should quit Drawing and dedicate the time I spend on that on the Piano, but then after a couple of days I just feel like Drawing is a wonderful activity.

One thing I'm certain though is that I should really reduce the amount of time I spend on Anime/Manga and Games.
>>
How do i get my brother to read some books?

He doesn't read anything, and whenever i try to give him an advice he just deflects or something.

I bought him V for Vendetta, but he doesn't seem to have read any of it even though it's been over 2 years since he got it.
Then i borrowed him Farenheit 451, and it's been over one year, and he hasn't even picked it up yet.
Then, since he seems to like boats i recommended he should check out 20 000 Leagues under the sea, and six months later, nothing.
When i asked him about it he just responded that "reading isn't really my thing"

For context, he's 16 now.

This would be a lot less annoying if he had other interests i could appeal to, but no. He just plays Fifa and GTA, that's all he does.
For Christmas i asked if there were any games he wanted, he could only name one, so i bought him that. And he hasn't played it in the slightest other than when i'm around.
>>
How do I go about learning ancient greek?
>>
>>9729941
I suppose if you really want him to read something you could reward him for it somehow. Or you could stop trying to manipulate your brother into liking what you like, you've tried, it doesn't work, let's move on
>>
>>9730497
>Or you could stop trying to manipulate your brother into liking what you like, you've tried, it doesn't work, let's move on
As i said in the last bit, i'd be okay with it if he had oher interests, but even when i bought him the game he said he wanted, he didn't care about it.
He doesn't seem to have anything he's interested in at all, just Fifa and GTA

And i guess i could try rewarding him, but that just seems like i'm treating him like a dog. besides, i'm not around very often, so hard to keep up.
>>
>>9714796
Care to elaborate? Maybe with examples? (Not OP btw)
>>
>>9729853
>>9729916
>>9729916
You should read The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. Twice. A lot of Hesse's works are a one-read deal, but this and Steppenwolf are different. It kind of applies to your situation in a roundabout way, or more accurately, the situation you envision
>>
any good us navy books?
>>
What is the difference between theme and argument?
>>
Good books on the war of 1812 from a close to unbiased perspective.
>>
>>9729853
Where / how do you learn idioms?
>>
>>9732764
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/theme
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/argument
>>
>>9713072
Does anyone have a nicely formatted chart like pic in OP, but for philosophy? Everything on the wiki is ugly and eye strain.
>>
>>9734852
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
>>
>>9715985
>reading mein kampf for the prose
what the fuck
>>
>>9713093
Stalagg version
>>
How do you decide what to read after you finish reading one work?
>>
Someone please help me. There is a very short story that I've been trying to find for ages. Its about two people, both married, having an affair with one another. She wakes up, and says she's back in love with her husband. He lies and says he feels the same way about his wife. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
>>
Why does nobody here ever discuss the Aeneid, especially the John Dryden translation?
>>
I know about http://gen.lib.rus.ec/ for free e-books, but where can i get free audiobooks?
>>
What primary sources can I read to get a feeling of what the sophists are all about or is reading up on them on Wikipedia enough before delving into Plato?
>>
Can anyone recommend me some good books about Neuroscience?
>>
Reccomendations for someone who loves Faulkner that isn't Joyce or Woolf? I've read the sound and the fury and as I lay dying, light in August and Absalom are on the way
>>
>>9735938
You don't really need to understand too much about the Sophists themselves to understand Plato's Socratic dialogues; just that they were talented orators who taught men to argue with fallacious logic and pretty rhetoric in order to win civil disputes, and as such became infamous.
You also need to know that Socrates had been accused of being a Sophist well before the trial as covered in the Apology; the satirist Aristophanes wrote a play deriding Socrates specifically, 'The Cloud'.
>>
>>9736299
>>9736299
Thanks a lot. This is perfect because I just ordered Birds by Aristophanes earlier. I already saw Lysistrata performed live before so I probably won't get that one. So read Apology first then Clouds? Any other specific recommendations?
>>
>>9736004
Flannery O'Conner
>>
Which of Cicero's books are worth reading? I was planning on reading the one that Augustine mentions in the Confessions. What else should I read?
>>
I've read Robert Fagles translation of the Illiad and am now reading the Odyssey.

should I purchase the Fitzgerald version of the Aeneid? I have no complaints about Fagles im just wondering since people here claim Fitzgerald to be superior. I don't think there will be a difference between the two desu

Also who's translation of Hamlet should i read?
>>
File: GSte0Q2.webm (344KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
GSte0Q2.webm
344KB, 340x340px
Has anyone here learned how to read Russian? Where would one begin in order to do so? I know a fair amount of words but am illiterate and feel like a fool reading the Garnett translation when in theory I could understand the original.
>>
>>9735938
Plato's earliest dialogues, in the reconstructed chronology, are attacks on "eristic" (sophistic) reasoning and the first signs of his attempt to pin down logos as the underlying "thread" of speech, the thing that is futzed up by eristic sophistry, or the thing that speech should be aiming to approximate.

To understand the sophists you need to understand "sophistry" not just from a modern perspective, but from the perspective of late 5th century Athenian, who loved talking and shows of rhetorical brilliance and who palpably felt the "power" of being persuaded, but who had trouble grasping and holding onto discrete meaning according to anything like a fixed logos in dialectic. Plato is not just saying that rhetorical flourishes are bad, or that dishonest argumentation is bad. He's making an epistemological statement that BEGINS the entire Western philosophical tradition, by saying (with Heidegger) that "language is the house of being." He's saying that there are right and wrong ways to talk, and that we come nearer to a capital-T Truth when we speak "rightly." It's a metaphysics of language, not just a preference of style.

Read the earliest dialogues and try to find brief historical commentaries on them. There's a reason Plato is singling out these specific guys for criticism, a reason he's setting the dialogue during or just before the Peloponnesian War, a reason why he's depicting children who would later become tyrants or contribute to Socrates' execution. But most of all, try to read them as a group of people sitting around who have no fixed notion of "how langauge works." The more tedious and obvious something is to you, the more amazing it should be to read it, because you'll realise, holy fuck, they literally got confused by things as simple as: predication, forming the most basic syllogisms, naturalistic truth-adequacy, how complex intentional states (belief, wishing, or statements of fact whose truth-adequacy has changed with time, like "Socrates is sitting", can be "both true and false"), how something can be/mean "both one thing and another" (systematic ambiguity, multivalent meanings, etc.), even how SYNONYMS (reference + sense) or HOMONYMS work..

Now imagine that the entire Western philosophical tradition, which has progressed beyond the onto-theological metaphysics created by the most subtle of Plato's assumptions, beyond transcendental and linguistic philosophy, is basically an heir to this Greek dude sitting around and going "What the fuck? This sophist dude told me that because 'Socrates is sitting' was 'true' and then 'false' despite being the 'same sentence', 'truth' can't exist. I'm going to prove this faggot wrong by writing a funny prose dialogue. Also I'm going to invent the entire genre of the prose dialogue to do it." Then watch as Plato's mature metaphysics develops out of the presuppositions of the position he intuitively develops in order to combat these things. Then read John Rist's book on Aristotle.
>>
>>9730492
Try the JACT 2nd edition series, not first edition. Or try pirating Hansen & Quinn Ancient Greek online, but it's very difficult and you might lose motivation quickly.

Learning Greek is difficult in general. It's much much easier if you know Latin first.

>>9724043
>If philosophy is trying to establish things through logic, then isn't simply reading the propositions more or less enough?

No, because 90% of what you are reading when you read a philosophical work is the underlying GRAMMAR of the philosopher's assumptions and conceptual machinery, as you and the philosopher both play a game of pretend that "meaning" is contained in the upper 10% propositional layer of discourse. Deleuze says that we could probably boil down every great philosopher to the 4 or 5 great concepts he introduced, but by that he means the great Gestalten, the great "ways of seeing things" that those philosophers produced, and each one of them is a self-contained world, a presupposed architectonic.

The interesting part of philosophy is being able to "see with Marx," "see as Marx," not evaluating Marx's final propositions according to YOUR OWN grammatical presuppositions about what those propositions "mean." Marx is teaching you to climb mountains so that you can climb mountains, and he's doing so by saying "the finish line is the little shack on the other side of this mountain." He's not saying to you, "By all means, if you can figure out another way to the shack, you go on ahead." If you get to the shack, all you get is an I Visited The Shack t-shirt, and the next time a Marxian (or unwitting Marxian) wants to go mountain-climbing with you, you'll have to say
>Oh, well, I never learned to climb mountains, but I do have a t-shirt.
>>
>>9721206
You'd probably like H.G. Wells' Outline of History, which is told in a series of vignettes.

>>9721823
Google "history of psychology syllabus" and start with 19th century psychology. You'll have to understand the philosophical and historical context of the origins of various competing conceptions, like mechanism ("reflex" psychology which looks so strange to us today), descriptive psychology (which is proto-phenomenological), epiphenomenalism (which is kind of like hyper-mechanism), Freud's "hydraulic" depth psychology of "forces," etc. It's a very fascinating subject because these guys were all trying to describe something, "thought" or "Denkstoff," that fundamentally defies description, because we can only describe it in terms of physical things, in terms of metaphors taken from a nomothetic world of matter, bodies, and forces.

Most of these attempts were eventually eclipsed by (explanatory) quantitative and medical psychology, which, whatever you think of them, have an extremely narrow and unself-conscious contemporary epistemology, essentially the mechanistic, naively materialistic and deterministic one without realising it.

There are some good books on the history of psychology but you REALLY want to get one that isn't written by an explanatory psychologist or cogsci oriented person, who sees the entire discipline as one long and wandering quest to discover his own epistemology, taken for granted as the best one.

>>9714479
For Kant you need a thorough understanding of the CPR, and a good understanding of the Critique of Judgment, and ideally some secondary literature on the relationship of that third Critique to the CPR. By almost all accounts, Kant is straining to reconcile the CPR with a lot of problems. Understanding these problems, understanding how Kant perhaps failed to overcome them or even to meet them head on, and understanding the revolutionary concepts introduced by the CPR that created those problems to begin with, is key to understanding German idealism.

For Nietzsche, everything he wrote, even Will to Power, is required reading if you are remotely serious about reading philosophy.
>>
>>9735242
>Why does nobody here ever discuss the Aeneid
They don't understand it's an unfinished work, that allegedly the very author willed burned and had to be rescued by Augustus himself. All they see in it is Homer because they read it immediately after the Odyssey, and don't read the tragedians, nor do they approach any other work of Virgil. The Aeneid is not Homer part deux, it's Homer + characterization from the tragedians (particularly evident in female characters that come in all shapes and sizes) + Virgil's own ability to describe nature (that he acquired from being the son of an entrepreneur involved in apiculture and animal husbandry).

All of this makes the Aeneid a solid precursor to everything we demand in a good story.

>>9735974
It is not exactly a neuroscience textbook, but I could recommend a book on the philosophy of the mind from an interdisciplinary philosopher that constantly quotes scientific papers and interacts with neuroscientists proper: Supersizing the Mind by Andy Clark.

>>9736489
Plato's Gorgias, Protagoras, Sophist... Read the Republic too, Sophists appear in it as well, and you can see Plato's views on education, very much opposed to the Sophists'.
>>
>>9731294
any?
>>
>>9736004
McCarthy
>>
>>9737177
I thought more of other contemporary authors writing something about Socrates or Plato, such as Aristophanes.
>>
>>9734926
by having a shelf full of works yet to be read
>>
File: 5432534.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
5432534.png
29KB, 741x568px
How do I pirate books onto my Paperwhite?
>>
What's the best translated version of the Iliad, Odyssey, and Ulysses?
>>
>>9737002
since no one has answered I am assuming my question doesn't matter at all and ill just go with my gut feeling
>>
File: IMG_2729.jpg (75KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2729.jpg
75KB, 1024x1024px
In what order should I read Dostoyevsky? What translation(s)?
>>
>>9738054
1) Download ebook
2) If .mobi transfer to kindle. If not move to step 3
3) Convert ebook to .mobi
4) Transfer to Kindle.
>>
Does any one have the image showing different groups of Christian literature?
>>
File: trollrope.png (56KB, 457x835px) Image search: [Google]
trollrope.png
56KB, 457x835px
is there an audiobook database?
>>
>>9713235

I read on my phone, tablet, ereader and printed books and prefer the ereader to all of them.

Reading on Samsung phones/tablets is pretty easy on the eyes if you invert the colors (white letters on black background) as the black pixels are actually turned off, so the phone/tablet produces minimal background lighting. Bonus points if you sleep next to someone and want to bother them as minimally as possible. Use a blue-light reducer if you want to go all in (like >>9721963 said). HTC has them inbuilt in their official firmware, dont know about the Samsung firmware (I use CM/LOS which has that feature built in). That said, I dont enjoy reading on my new HTC 10. SAmoled screens really make a difference to other types of phone/tablet screens, I guess.

All in all: I like my ereader (Kindle PW 2016). It suits my needs (frontlight, can sideload books, size). Doesnt mean I read more than I did before, just more comfortably [at home]. Drawbacks being: one more device that does exactly one thing. Takes up space in my bag. You have to buy a case so it doesnt get scratched, which then makes it more bulky and heavy. University qts dont ask you about the books you're reading (odd, innit?).

I would say an ereader is right in the middle between "best thing you can buy as an avid reader" and "literally no use, just read on your phone". Oddly enough, I made the same observation with slow cookers ("best chicken you will ever eat" and "everything tastes like mush").

Oh and if you dont know which one to buy: Just google "good e book readers" and you will see how most ereaders are pretty fucking good and the differences are neglible.
>>
anyone have Resume with the Romans?

pls
>>
>>9740085
gutenberg has some, though it's all public domain stuff.

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/1
>>
>>9740291
nah i'm looking for specifc books
i never heard of this public domain thing but it's not what i'm looking for
thanks still
>>
File: Kite Runner.png (283KB, 315x496px) Image search: [Google]
Kite Runner.png
283KB, 315x496px
What can I expect from this book? Anything remarkable?
>>
>>9739593
Bumping this
>>
File: resume with the romans.jpg (3MB, 6100x3721px) Image search: [Google]
resume with the romans.jpg
3MB, 6100x3721px
>>9740245
>>
File: romans.jpg (2MB, 4800x3834px) Image search: [Google]
romans.jpg
2MB, 4800x3834px
>>9740245
>>9741555
>>
>>9741430
I read 1000 Splendid Suns and the storytelling reminds me a lot of Steinbeck. Think of the grapes of wrath minus the really interesting imagery. Like there's a few nuggets of splendid prose but most of it is fairly basic and predictable, but it's also very human.
>>
>>9713072
It says there don't start with the republic. Well I have, and I'm about 50 pages in and I don't think I'll stop. Am I fucked? This is one of my first readings of greek philosophy as a whole too.
>>
File: pic.png (11KB, 806x1013px) Image search: [Google]
pic.png
11KB, 806x1013px
>>
>>9741910
Forgot to specify that I want to know how this architectural feature was called
>>
>>9741624
I have the same question. I read more than half of it before finding out that I shouldn't start there. I have the book on presocratics and will read it soon.
>>
>>9739593
Can't speak to what order the works should be read in, but I am a fan of Pevear/Volokhonsky no matter which author they are translating. Unsure of what they have translated for FD, but have thoroughly enjoyed their translations of both Bulgakov and Tolstoy.

>>9721194
Daily reminder that the New Testament is a meme. There are so many translations of it because the Greek in which it is written is as unspecific as can be. Aristotle's grammar is terrabad, but at least he's specific.

NB: John and Matthew are more meme than Mark and Luke, imho.
>>
Knowing that owning a physical "Complete Works of Cicero" is a logistical impossibility, what are his most essential works?
>>
>>9738891
I don't know, but I commend your taste in music.
>>
I'm reading Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse" and there is this one passag I can not really decipher:

" but there, like the body of a young man laid up in peat for a century, with the red fresh on his lips, was his friendship, in its acuteness and reality, laid up across the bay among the sandhills."
From 'the window', C. 4.
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.