[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When will you finally realize that Jane Austen is one of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Jane_Austen_coloured_version.jpg (900KB, 769x952px) Image search: [Google]
Jane_Austen_coloured_version.jpg
900KB, 769x952px
When will you finally realize that Jane Austen is one of the greatest novelists who ever lived?

She is capable of creating a huge variety of unique characters who change and interact in the most plausible and entertaining manners, she has great control over irony while still allowing the emotional depths of her stories to resonate, and her innovations in free indirect speech is objectively important in the history of prose styles.
>>
>>9712166
I only ever read Northanger Abbey. It was bretty funny.

Can someone confirm whether CB's Jane Eyre is actually good? I read it in high school and hated it, especially since it was presented as a 'feminist text' and we had to write a paper describing it as such. I was aghast at this because Jane Eyre ends up basically as a cheating cripple's servant in the end. Recently I've been thinking my hate might be ill-founded, since I've seen some praise for the novel here, and I'm considering rereading it to find out. Really enjoyed EB's Wuthering Heights, as contrast. Sorry to derail the Austen thread but I figure anyone into Austen would know Jane Eyre.
>>
>>9712187
Jane Eyre is not actually good. The only Bronte sister with genuine talent is Emily. Jane Eyre is horribly overrated.

Also, amusingly, the Bronte sisters all hated Jane Austen, and in their letters to each other would talk endless shit about her books.
>>
Pride and Prejudice just about bored me to tears as a highschooler.
She's got tight control over her shit but I think a novel should be about more things and should have grander themes. P&P just seemed small to me. I think Woolf is far more talented
>>
>>9712166
No doubt. Just as Chekhov's one of the greatest short story writers who ever lived, etc. So?
Nobody however seems to like Persuasion. I do.
>>
>>9712686
I think youre right. But unlike poetry, prose fiction rarely ages well. A few exceptions, of course.
>>
>>9712166
George Eliot >>>> Jane Aushit
>>
>>9712709
Whoop, whoop there's my boy1
>>
File: 20goodmen.jpg (5KB, 272x185px) Image search: [Google]
20goodmen.jpg
5KB, 272x185px
>>9712408
>women don't like each other
wow what a surprise
>>
>>9712686
Have you read anything of hers besides P&P? I'd actually argue that that's her weakest book. Or, rather, it's her most "normal" book, hence why everyone likes it. But her other stuff is more complex and interesting. I'm a big fan of Emma, personally.
>>
>>9712166
why don't you tell us more about her superlative -
and very male - editor then?
>>
>>9712709
she's good but fucking humorless
>>
>>9713031
>the bumbling politician gets ols vegetables thrown at him after being annoying for 500 pages

>not funny
>>
>>9713031
Austen isn't really that funny. Even if I concede the point, Eliot is still a better writer. Middlemarch makes Austen's books seem like 19th-century YA by comparison.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.