[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plato's Republic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

I've been working my way through Plato's dialogues and have been thoroughly enjoying them, despite some weak arguments, and logical flaws. But this book is on a whole new level of stupidity. How much of this was intended to be taken seriously? Was it an exercise for students to pick apart? I can't imagine someone being stupid enough to support the ideas conveyed here.
>>
>>9708377
lmao was reddit always this stupid?
>>
>>9708564
>wisdom and truth are some of the highest virtues
>everyone should be taught they were born like the Orcs in the Lord of the Rings
>>
Republic was NOT supposed to be an instruction manual!!!
>>
Plato himself rejects the Republic. Read The Laws afterwards.
>>
SAGE AND REPORT SHILL AND PSYOP THREADS.
>>
>OP thinks he's smart because he read Republic but read zero commentaries on Republic

literally kys
>>
>>9708377
Cam you give an example?
>>
>>9709742
>Thinking you need to read secondary sources to read a book intended for the general public.
wew lad
>>
>>9709848
>thinking "the general public" hasn't changed in 2400 years

wew lad
>>
>>9708377
What kinds of flaws? Can you provide some examples?
>>
>>9708377
>How much of this was intended to be taken seriously?
This question is not at all unique to the Republic, and is actually worse of an issue in other dialogues.

>Was it an exercise for students to pick apart?
Certainly, although that's not all it was.

One of the key things to keep in mind while reading the Republic is that its political topics are subordinate to working what is true of the soul. Plato's assumption is that by working through the perfect city, he will find the analogy to the soul, and thus find an existential answer of how to live. With that in mind I'm much more lenient towards how he builds up the city, despite its obvious flaws. For every law he institutes there is a corresponding reason for it in the soul.
>>
>>9708377
like what?
see
>>9710010

It's about the soul, not an actual plan for a city lol
>>
thrasymachus was right
>>
>>9710083
Socrates showed what a punk ass bitch he was.
>>
>>9709848
Plato was only intended for the elite.
>>
>>9708377
With that kind of thinking it looks like you didn't learn anything.
>>
>>9710010
So basically
>the real republic was inside us all along
>>
>>9710720
>straw maning this hard
Why though? Is realizing your own ignorance not an exciting feeling, to know that there is so much more out there? Maybe you're just suffering from Dunning-Kruger. You should check out the Philosophy project in the /lit/ wiki.
>>
>>9708377
Can you identify one of the many problems you see with it?
>>
>>9708377
no goddamnit Galucon fucking listen to what I'm saying you stupid cunt
>>
>>9710819
woops
>>
>>9708377
>Reads Plato for plot.
>>
File: 1487135390579.jpg (33KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
1487135390579.jpg
33KB, 453x500px
>>9708579
Kek
>>
>>9708377

Protip OP: the Republic is not about an actual Republic
>>
ITT: We witness the pseuds defend a work in a way they wouldn't if it was written today because "old books are so le intelligent because they're old and that must make me le intelligentl"
>>
>>9711014
Hahaha what a great observation! I can't believe people actually fall for the numbers meme. If numbers were invented today nobody would give a shit because we have so many sophisticated calculus stuff now! omg, the fucking pseuds on this board.
>>
>>9710720
Fucking kek
Plato btfo
>>
>so, I guess the republic was the friends we made along the way
Woah
>>
>>9711065
>>9710720
lmfao pseuds btfo
>>
>>9709848
>>9710720
>>9711014
>>9711052
>>9711065
>>9711073
samefagging this hard
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.