[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spanish Literature Recommendations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: miguel_de_cervantes.jpg (70KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
miguel_de_cervantes.jpg
70KB, 400x300px
Hello, /lit/

I studied Spanish enough to get a minor in college. I'm ok at it, but have fallen out of practice. Do you have any good Spanish literature books to recommend for someone who is passable, but broken at Spanish?

I'm partial to philosophical novels, dramas, and comedy.
>>
>>9707832

Don Quixote (1605)
One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967)
The Autumn of the Patriarch (1975)
Love in the Time of Cholera (1985)
Like Water for Chocolate (1989)
Yo-Yo Boing! (1998) (Spanglish)
The Savage Detectives (1998)
2666 (2004)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (2007) (contains Spanglish)

I literally don't know what else to recommend in terms of novels.
>>
Read anything and everything by Augusto Monterroso.

If you want poetry, the Machados and Lorca are excellent options.
>>
Hey spalit, recently i adquired this book. What am i in?
>>
>>9707832
Do you mean specifically from Spain or any literature written in Spanish?
>>
I don't think Cervantes ever said that.
>>
>>9707832
Mexicanfag here.

Juan Rulfo's Pedro Páramo and El llano en llamas.

Forget about Like Water for Chocolate.
>>
>>9707944
Anything written in Spanish. I read Bendíceme, Ultima for a Spanish lit class and found it boring as fuck. The Chicano literature hasn't really done it for me, but that isn't to say there is not good Chicano lit out there. The common motifs seem to be living in poverty, competition, loss. It just doesn't really make me think.
>>
>>9707992
>Forget about Like Water for Chocolate.
Lol, I remember being confused about the title of that book, thought it was "Eat water for chocolate" for a while.

I like short stories, Llano en Llamas looks like something I'd enjoy
>>
>>9708020
Well, since I'm not sure what kind of literature you like, I'll just drop some big names.

Some novels from Spain:
El lazarillo (anonymous author)
Don Quijote (Cervantes)
La Regenta (Clarín)
Niebla (Unamuno)
El árbol de la ciencia (Baroja)
Sonata de primavera/estío/otoño/invierno (Valle-Inclán)
La familia de Pascual Duarte and La Colmena (Cela)

Some novels from LatAm:
Basically anything by Márquez
Anything by Vargas Llosa
Los Detectives Salvajes, 2666 (Bolaño)
El túnel (Sabato) His other novels are even better but you have to read them chronologically
Pedro Páramo (Rulfo)
La muerte de Artemio Cruz (Fuentes)

Also, every short story collection by Borges and Cortázar

I'd say don't read the Spaniards until you have a better grasp of Spanish, since some of them use old Spanish and others are heavily philosophical so you might drift off if you don't get the language.

Probably Márquez, Llosa and Bolaño are good places to start, since they write great stuff but the prose is fairly simple and clear. Maybe Cortazar too, but his short stories, since Rayuela is quite complicated
>>
>>9707885
>Don Quixote (1605)
Is this actually good? I always wondered if it was a meme. We watched a film for it in our classes in high school. It wasn't very good; I may have written Don Quixote off as a meme for that. I'mk willing to give it a read though.

>>9707899
>Read anything and everything by Augusto Monterroso.
>If you want poetry, the Machados and Lorca are excellent options.
Poetry is hit or miss for me. I can't read Poe, for instance, too abstract. I'm loosely a rhyme and meter snob for poetry, because that is the primary art of it to me.
>>
>>9707903
Léelo y nos lo cuentas.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.