[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SPEED READING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1481033287853.png (652KB, 766x656px) Image search: [Google]
1481033287853.png
652KB, 766x656px
How the fuck do I speed read, /lit/? I have all these fucking books I want to get through over this Summer but I'm a slow reader. Would if be possible to read a 300-page book in one day by your techniques?
>>
>>9705212
Homie, speed reading literature for the sake of getting through a ton of books over the summer is not worth it. Just enjoy and try to learn from what you can read at your own pace.
>>
>>9705218

This. If you aren't reading to enjoy what you're reading, why are you reading at all?
>>
>>9705291
To obtain knowledge. I'm not reading fiction; I'm reading politics and economics
>>
>>9705212

>300-page book in one day

You don't need to speed read to do that anon, it shouldn't take more than four hours.
>>
>>9705337
The average person can read at 250wpm, that's 2 minutes a page on average.
That's 10 hours.
>>
>>9705330

>To obtain knowledge.
Then speed-reading is the last thing you want to do. Completely antithetical to what you should be doing, actually.
>>
>>9705212
Just take a book and spend a week with it. I like to take a book i want to read and consume the entire thing on the first day and then spend the rest of that day thinking about what i read and trying to understand it(if you're super gay take notes as you go along). Then you take the rest of the week to reread the book with your new context of having read it once and try to dig deeper on the successive reads. usually on friday or saturday i find myself in a sort of autistic flurry where i spend hours talking to myself about what i've read and what i think about it trying to understand everything as much as i can.
>>
File: RapidReading.jpg (60KB, 374x499px) Image search: [Google]
RapidReading.jpg
60KB, 374x499px
>>9705513
Speed-reading improves reading comprehension, have you even looked into the subject matter?
>>9705212
If you want to learn how to speed read, read the book "Breakthrough Rapid Reading". It's a classic for the subject matter.
>>
>>9705742
Will take a look at it. Thanks man
>>
>>9705212
Speed reading doesn't exist. It's a con. Literally every speed reading course takes you on a convoluted path back to merely skimming the text, which you likely do anyway. There is no evidence that running your finger down the page, eliminating "subvocalization", or any other such school-marmery magically causes 600 words per second with 95% comprehension to inhabit your brain.

The only way to improve your ability to read is to read more. Speed reading techniques are the literary equivalent to penis lengthening exercises.
>>
What's the fastest I can read and maintain 95%+ comprehension? I'm not interested in skimming, I'm interested in improving my concentration and exercising my mind to the point where I can handle dense texts more effectively. To use /fit/ terms, what's the "natty" limit to fast reading of intermediate-level texts?
>>
Speedreading isn't a myth, but you'll only get far with it reading easy stuff. Never speedread where style, and language of the novel is important. So forget Shakespeare and Joyce. Hemingway on other hand is actually preferable. His language is easy, so even when you skip a word or two, you won't be at a loss. It's great for news articles, and also extremely important for nonfiction. Doesn't matter the source, it's often full of filler, so knowing what to skip through, what to speedread, and what to pay attention to is vital.

As for techniques, just go with simple centre read. Ignore all the word on the left and right of the page and concentrate on the middle sector. Once you get a hang of it, you'll get the meaning of the text, and you'll fly through it in no time.
>>
>>9705218
Fpbp

I'm not a fast reader but for most prose novels I can read about 250 pages in a day with good comprehension. A good routine and ample time is better than faster speeds. I recommend waking up early, having breakfast especially with coffee/tea/stimulant, pack a lunch, then going to a library or wherever you won't get distracted and feel comfortable reading, just read for 6 or so hours until you finish or get tired.
>>
>>9705212
If you read online, there's a browser app called Spritz that is helpful for reading bulk information like encyclopedia entries or something
>>
File: 1497381151262.jpg (11KB, 343x345px) Image search: [Google]
1497381151262.jpg
11KB, 343x345px
you bring these topics about speed reading, and i'll kill your cat.
Consider this mercy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.