[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

His Dark Materials

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: hdm-covers.jpg (24KB, 480x250px) Image search: [Google]
hdm-covers.jpg
24KB, 480x250px
Has there ever been a more patrician set of children's books than His Dark Materials?

Do any other children's books tackle subjects such as the role of religion in society and the purpose of the pursuit of knowledge?
>>
>>9703516
Good post
I was wondering the same yesterday
>>
I loved them as a kid, I still have the editions with De Chirico paintings on the cover on my shelf.
Dutch children's author Tonke Dragt is also pretty good, but she's more about classic scifi themes like alienation, totalitarianism, man's dependence on technology, etc..
>>
>>9703516
Why is it patrician? These books were written for grade school kids to get them to start questioning organized religion and norms in society. Reading those is better than reading other shit like red wall or Harry potter
>>
>>9703560
patrician = good, plebeian = bad
>>
This was one of the first books I ever read. I was too young to actually understand anything except plot add to that the fact that english isn't my first language. I didn't even read the first book. A friend was gifted the third in the series and I borrowed it. The read the entire novel but didn't feel the impact of it till the second last paragraph (about the bells chiming). I remember reading the paragraph again and again for half an hour something. Something stirred in my young mind for the first time.
Years later I read the series again and it's still perfect. His descriptions of places are pretty comfy.
Anyone knows any more novels with that lonely desolate vibe his dark materials has?
Also there's a fourth book coming out in the series but eh.
>>
>>9703597
>Also there's a fourth book coming out in the series but eh.
Wow really?
>>
>>9703516
In Haroun and the Sea of Stories Salman Rushdie uses the medium of a children's book to satirise the fatwa against him and argue for free speech and the importance of fiction.

Also obviously Pullman was trying to do a counter-Narnia.
>>
>>9703671
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/15/philip-pullman-announces-new-book-dust-trilogy-follow-up-dark/

They're also making a BBC series of it apparently.
>>
>>9704179
Entire new trilogy, neat. I wonder how it will hold up now that I'm slightly older.
>>
Pullman couldn't handle the increase in scale his Overthrowing God narrative required and the third book was trash.

Also: http://johncwright.livejournal.com/134046.html?nojs=1
>>
>>9703594
Oh shit I'm dumb
>>
I read them in midle school and loved them. I don't know if they hold up or not; but what i know is The Hobbit is THE patrician children's book
>>
I read these in junior high. I remember being excited for the third book to FINALLY come out and my poor as shit school to request a loaner copy for the library. Man, what a let down. Some pretty cool cool concepts for YA lit, but it just loses all its steam and dissipates out.
>>
Reddit circlejerks about this book all damn day on r/books, looks and reads like mediocre pseudo-furry fan-fiction.
>>
I almost cried at the ending desu
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.