[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: images_16.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
images_16.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
What books are actually good. I mean ACTUALLY good. I like Bret Easton ellis, James ellroy, Michel houellebecq, Raymond chandler, Nabokov, among others. I am thinking of reading more sci first but sadly I really do have taste with regard to writing quality. I have read 6 or 7 PKD novels and only liked one, though I am open to more

>finish reading Nicholas Nickleby
>almost finished reading brothers Karamazov
>both were tortuous experiences I only went through so the pseudointellectuals would stop insulting me
>currently reading essays of Schopenhauer and it's literally a fucking pleasure compared to the drudgery of the other two books
>think about buying novels I'd like
>realise I have almost no favourite novelists
>realise I mainly read to feel like less of a pleb
>realise a lot of those New Yorker / Oxbridge-esque novelists are cringey nu-male faggots or women - what talent some of them possess is pissed up the wall in their utterly self indulgent styles and politically correct outlook

It really gets the noggin joggin'. As soon as I finish the last 50 pages of brothers Karamazov and then read the republic, I will start actually using my taste.

The Schopenhauer essays remind me of when I read the problems of philosophy after grinding slowly through other boring books (I think it was still Nicholas Nickleby and brothers Karamazov even in January). I found Problems of philosophy a huge pleasure even though I dont have a big interest in its topics.

I don't want to be a pseudo intellectual humanitiesfag who wanks over "the depth of thought of the classics! *knows no maths past high school* *thinks reading about maths / physics / football can actually convey it*." I am literally drowning in bullshit everywhere. The pseudo intellectual zombies demand you submit to the will of the profit seeking academia-media-publishing industrial complex
>>
>>9703255
Based on your list, you should try Martin Amis- I'd recommend Money and London Fields.
>>
Read some Vonnegut.

Breakfast of champions & Cat's Cradle are both A1
>>
File: Unknown-5.jpg (7KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-5.jpg
7KB, 237x213px
>>9703255
Try Joyce.
>>
The Overcoat by Gogol.

Anything by Kafka.
>>
>>9704094
maybe a picture not for ants would suffice?
>>9704102
>(((Kafka)))
No thanks
>>
>>9704094
Do you have a larger version of that image? I wouldn't mind giving his books a try and a reading order would be helpful.
>>
File: Joyce.jpg (158KB, 1500x1348px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce.jpg
158KB, 1500x1348px
>>
>>9703255
Well here are my favorites:
Wind Sand and Stars
The Book of the New Sun
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
As I Lay Dying
Room At The Top
Solaris
The Transmigration of Timothy Archer
The Stars My Destination
The Silmarillion
Titus Groan
Heart or Darkness
The Sirens of Titan
Flatland
Siddhartha
Lord of Light
The Crying of Lot 49
The Illuminatus Trilogy
Homage to Catalonia
Moby Dick
Bridge of Birds
>>
>brothers karamazov
>tortuous experience

I thought the opposite while reading it, I was engaged and interested the entire time.
>>
You'd probably like Borges. Just get his complete fictions collection and go through it chronologically
>>
Thank me later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokklubben_World_Library
>>
I have no recommendations but James Ellroy is one of the greatest living writers.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.