[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In order to get a greater understanding of the western canon,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2837.jpg (184KB, 1440x1343px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2837.jpg
184KB, 1440x1343px
In order to get a greater understanding of the western canon, which scriptures should I read? Should I read the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Old Testament? What's the difference? I can't really get a straight answer from google.
>>
>>9701760
what did google say?
>>
>>9701760
you're ready for the spiral
>>
>>9701760
>Should I read the Hebrew Bible or the Christian Old Testament?
What did he mean by this?

Just read the KJV bible, and read all of it. You can skip or skim Leviticus if you really want to, but it's not too long so you should probably just read it.
>>
>>9701765
When I searched for the differences between them it came up with conflicting answers. I gleaned that there were translation differences and a different order of books.

>>9701772
?

>>9701782
No I want to read them, I just don't want to get 2 books that are the same thing
>>
The Bible is by far the more influential of the two. After reading that, read Augustine of Hippo's City of God and the works Thomas Aquinas.
>>
File: e2viD.gif (68KB, 333x720px) Image search: [Google]
e2viD.gif
68KB, 333x720px
It comes down to extra books in the OT and difference of interpretation and translation. Picture shows the Protestant number (39); Catholics have 46 books. Get the Catholic Study Bible published by OUP. Catholicism has been the most influential, largest denomination, so you'll want a Catholic Bible.
>>
>>9701808
>>9701865
Thanks, i'll check these out
>>
>>9701935
If you want to get the KJV, make sure it includes the Apocrypha. The Apocrypha are the same extra Catholic books but are left at the end after the NT.
>>
>>9701760
the western canon, as you so specify, ought to be a lot more than the judeo-christian situation, no?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.