[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will someone please explain to me the appeal of this man? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: neechee.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
neechee.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
Will someone please explain to me the appeal of this man? I've read four of his books so far, and they weren't great philosophical treatises. They were just good entertainment.

I can see how he's an enjoyable writer, but taking a closer look it's hard to see him as a first rate thinker. Most of his stuff seems to be either obvious or wrong, or inevitable given the period in which he functioned as a man of letters. Here's an example:
>slave morality
Is there really any reason to believe that slave morality has its origins where he says it does? It seems to me that, throughout most of history, the average peasant or slave wasn't any more likely to promote pity as a general virtue than a ruler. In fact, compassion seems to be more common in aristocrats than in the commoners.
Another instance:
>predator/prey
He claims that slave morality is cruel because it denies the predator his prey. Isn't this an incredibly childish view of society? As if there "superior men" whose instincts demand violence and prey as a lion does.
And one more thing
>his "great men" like caesar
Is there really any reason to give these men as much praise as he does? I get the feeling, reading history, that any number of modern generals could have outdone a caesar. Nietzsche seems to have a largely romantic view of these persons.

Seems like nonsense desu
>>
>>9700479
We are talking about compassion as Schopenhauer defined it, not about the traditional understanding of the word.
He admired great people not because of their success but because of their will to power.
He didn't care about society. He cared only about the individual. Predator vs. prey is individual vs. society. Society wants to rob the individual of his will to power. The will to power is not necessarily a desire for violence.
Yes, it's childish, but smart people are not necessarily mature and he is self-aware and makes valid points.
>>
>>9700479
>Will someone please explain to me the appeal of this man?
He writes as a free spirit and he appeals to those who share that with him. Textbook thinkers have a field day with him, but they also aren't of the free spirited type.
>>
>>9700479
Proto-postmodernist relativist 'cant know nuffin' perspectival cuck, who was against anti-semitism and nationalism and all identity thinking
>>
>>9700784
He didn't say you can't no nuthin. He said that most of what most people know is wrong. There is a difference. Also nice job missing all the nuance but really you didn't read it did you?
>>
>>9700816
Nietzsche goes to great length to criticize the idea that there should exist such a thing as 'true reality' or the thing-in-itself his critique amounts to the view that the object invariably is constituted by the structures of consciousness while the idea that all consciousness should comprehend itself as perspectival pushes him back towards a reinstatement of the distinction between appearance and reality.

>the contrast between this genuine truth
of nature and the cultural lie which pretends to be the only reality is like the contrast between the eternal core of things, the thing-in-itself, and the entire world of phenomena
belongs on tumblr
>>
>>9700847
>Nietzsche goes to great length to criticize the idea that there should exist such a thing as 'true reality'
What's your answer to his transvaluation of values then?
>>
>>9700479
Did you read your greeks, your Kant and your Schopenhauer first? If you didn't and you don't have some sort of guide or annotated edition of his books explaining the relation of his ideas to the works of those, you are not going to understand shit.
>>
>>9700999
ur a faget
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.