[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm interested in reading Kant. What are the required readings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: immanuel-kant.jpg (206KB, 710x735px) Image search: [Google]
immanuel-kant.jpg
206KB, 710x735px
I'm interested in reading Kant. What are the required readings to understand him? I've read all of Plato's works, Aristotle's essentials (Organon, Physics, De Anima, Metaphysics, Ethics), and Descartes (For Direction, On the Understanding, and Meditations). I've heard Hume is necessary for the context, but I've also read that Schopenhauer exclusively read Plato and Kant and was able to grasp Kant no problem.

Do you think I am ready?
>>
>>9700343
>and was able to grasp Kant no problem
Debatable
>>
You've read Second Alcibiades little faggot? You've read Rival Lovers you piece of shit?
>>
>>9700351
Prove these are by Plato, faggot
>>
>>9700343

I've only read a very scant bit of Kant (the prolegomena) but I did take a university course which /set us up to be able to read Kant/, if that makes any sense. I will reiterate the gist of what the course told us.

What you really need to get Kant are the moderns who come just before him, which fall into two schools: the Rationalists (Descartes, Leibniz, Spinoza etc) and the Empiricists (Hume, Locke, Berkeley etc). There is a disagreement between the two strains of thought that the groups represent which goes to epistimology: can you know things /a priori/ (mathematical statements, say), or do you need "real-world experience" of some kind, or something like it. A large part of Kant's project is reconciling these two schools, which is why it's important to know the differences before you go in.

I would suggest that if you read works by a good 3-5 of the above, especially juxtaposing their differing views for your own understanding, then you're in a good position to read some Kant and get something out of it.
>>
>>9700383
Thanks, anon.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.